An Experimental Study on the Treatment and Prevention of Shimao Zheng Fleece-Eating) in Sheep and Goats in the Haizi Area of Akesai County in China
- 48 Downloads
A series of experimental trials on methods of treatment and prevention of shimao zheng fleece-eating) were carried out using various sulphates. The results confirmed the hypothesis that this is a local nutritional and metabolic disease, caused mainly by a sulphur deficiency, that could be prevented or cured with supplementary sulphur in the diet. In field studies, the clinical signs virtually disappeared within 14 days of the animals receiving medicated pellets. Over the same period, the concentrations of sulphur in the blood, liver and spleen returned to normal and the pathological changes in the skin improved. The condition of the controls became worse in each of these respects over this time. However, the pathological changes in the musculature were not alleviated by the treatment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blood, D.C., Henderson, J.A. and Radostits, O.M., 1979. Veterinary Medicine, 5th edn, (Ballière Tindall, London)Google Scholar
- Duan, D.X., 1989. Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2nd edn, (Agricultural Press, Beijing), 344-346 [in Chinese]Google Scholar
- Geogievaskii, V.I., 1982. Mineral Nutrition of Animals, (Butterworths, London), 91-222Google Scholar
- Huang Youde, 2001. Preliminary epidemiological and clinical observations on Shimao zheng (fleece-eating) in goats and sheep. Veterinary Research Communications, 25, 585-590Google Scholar
- Huang Youde and Chen Huaitao, 2001. Studies on the pathogenesis of shimao zheng (fleece-eating) in sheep and goats. Veterinary Research Communications, 25, 631-640Google Scholar
- Lu, X.W. and Jiang, Y., 1992. Sheep Husbandry, 2nd edn, (Agricultural Press, Beijing), 258-263 [in Chinese]Google Scholar
- Ministry of Public Health, 1986. The National Standards of People's Republic of China. Published on October 16, 1986. (China National Standards (CNS) Publishing House), GB 5009, 1-85 [in Chinese]Google Scholar
- Qiu, X.Z. and Zhang, B.J., 1996. Practical Manual of Domestic Animal and Poultry Poisoning, 1st edn, (Sichuan University Press, Chengdu), 399-412 [in Chinese]Google Scholar
- Wang, K., 1991. Trace Elements in Life Science, (Metrology Press, Beijing), 100-106 [in Chinese]Google Scholar
- Wang, L.Y. and Huang, Y.D., 1996. Improvement experiment of ashing and distilling-fluorine reagent colorimetric analysis. Journal of Qinghai Meadow Industry, 4, 12-15 [in Chinese]Google Scholar
- Wen, F.W., Zhang, S.D., Zhang, H.W., Lu, T.A. and Jiang, D.R., 1983. The study on total sulfur estimating method in wool, feeds and blood. Journal of Gansu Agricultural University, 4, 29-37 [in Chinese]Google Scholar