Vanadium uptake and an effect of vanadium treatment on 18 F-labeled water movement in a cowpea plant by positron emitting tracer imaging system (PETIS)
- 85 Downloads
We present real time vanadate (V5+ ) uptake imaging in acowpea plant by positron emitting tracer imaging system (PETIS). Vanadium-48was produced by bombarding a Sc foil target with 50 MeV α -particlesat Takasaki Ion Accelerators for Advanced Radiation Application (TIARA) AVFcyclotron. Then 48 V was added to the culture solution to investigatethe V distribution in a cowpea plant. The real time uptake of the 48V was monitored by PETIS. We measured the distribution of 48Vin a whole plant after 3, 6 and 20 hours of V treatment by Bio-imaging AnalyzerSystem (BAS). After the 20 hour treatment, vanadate was detected at the up-groundpart of the plant. To know the effect of V uptake on plant activity, 18F-labeled water uptake was analyzed by PETIS. When a cowpea plantwas treated with V for 20 hours before 18 F-labeled water uptakeexperiment, the total amount of 18F-labeled water absorption wasdrastically decreased. Results suggest the inhibition of water uptake wasmainly caused by the vanadate already moved to the up-ground part of the plant.
KeywordsVanadate Water Absorption Water Uptake Water Movement Culture Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kabata-Pendias, Pendias, CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, Florida 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.J. O. Nriagu,J. M. Pacyna, Nature, 333 (1988) 134.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Sato,S. Okabe, J. Fac. Mar. Sci. Tech. (Tokai Univ.), 11 (1978) 1.Google Scholar
- 4.B. K. Hope, Biochem., 37 (1997) 1.Google Scholar
- 5.D. S. Perlin,R. M. Spanswick, Plant Physiol., 68 (1981) 521.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Ueoka,J. Furukawa,T. M. Nakanishi, Proc. 5th Intern. Conf. of Method and Applications of Radioanalytical Chemistry, Hawaii, April 9–14, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Furukawa,T. M. Nakanishi,M. Matsubayashi, NIM-A, 424 (1999) 116.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Fujiwara,M. Y. Hirai,M. Chino,Y. Komeda,S. Naito, Plant Physiol., 99 (1992) 263.Google Scholar
- 9.N. S. Ishioka,H. Matsuoka,S. Watanabe,A. Osa,M. Koizumi,T. Kume,S. Matsuhashi,T. Fujimura,A. Tuji,H. Uchida,T. Sekine, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 239 (1999) 417.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Kume,S. Matsuhashi,M. Shimazu,H. Ito,T. Fujimura,K. Adachi,H. Uchida,N. Shigeta,H. Matsuoka,A. Osa,T. Sekine, Appl. Radiation Isotopes, 48 (1997) 1035.Google Scholar
- 11.R. M. L. McKay,G. R. Palmer,X. P. Ma,D. B. Layzell,B. T. A. McKee, Plant Cell Environ., 11 (1988) 851.Google Scholar