Measurement of Technical Efficiency of Public Hospitals in Kenya: Using Data Envelopment Analysis
In Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), there is a huge knowledge gap of health facilities performance. The objective of this study is to measure relative technical efficiencies of 54 public hospitals in Kenya using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique. 14 (26%) of the public hospitals were found to be technically inefficient. The study singled out the inefficient hospitals and provided the magnitudes of specific input reductions or output increases needed to attain technical efficiency.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mooney, G. H., Economics, Medicine and Health Care, Harvester Wheatsheaf, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.Mills, A., The economics of hospital in developing countries: Part I. Health Policy Plann. 5:107–117, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.Mills, A., The economics of hospital in developing countries: Part II. Health Policy Plann. 5:203–218, 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.Mills, A., Kapalamula, J., and Chisimbi, S., The cost of the district hospital: A case study in Malawi. Bull WHO 71(3/4):329–339, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.Kirigia, J. M., Fox-Rushby, J., and Mills, A., A cost analysis of Kilifi and Malindi Public Hospitals in Kenya. Afr. J. Health Sci. 5(2):79–84, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Kenya Government, Recurrent Expenditures, Kenya Government, Nairobi, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Kirigia, J. M., Sambo, L.G., and Lambo, E., Are public hospitals in Kwazulu-Natal province of South Africa technically efficient? Afr. J. Health Sci., in press.Google Scholar
- 8.WHO, The World Health Report 2000–Health Systems: Improving Performance, WHO, Geneva, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Health Information System, Hospital Statistics, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., and Rhodes, E., Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 2:429–444, 1978.Google Scholar
- 11.Dawyne, A., Banks, Cost and access among non-profit hospitals in jurisdictions with and without public hospitals. App. Econ. 28:875–881, 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.Coelli, T., A Guide to DEAP Version 2.1: A Data Envelopment Analysis Computer Program, Center for Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Working Paper 96/08, University of NewEngland, Amidale, 1996.Google Scholar
- 13.Kirigia, J. M., Sambo, L.G., and Scheel, H., Technical Efficiency of Clinics in Kwazulu-Natal Province of South Africa, Mimeo, WHO, Harare, 2000.Google Scholar