Analysis of the methane production in thermophilic anaerobic reactors: use of autofluorescence microscopy
- 126 Downloads
Methanogenic activity in thermophilic, anaerobic reactors was determined by comparing the amount of methane generated in single- and two-stage systems with the size of the methanogenic population, as determined by microscopy. The methanogenic activities were 2.71 × 10−9 ml methane cell−1 d−1 and 1.10 × 10−9 ml methane cell−1 d−1 for 10 and 4 days of the hydraulic retention time (HRT), in the single-stage system. In the two-stage system, 7.49 × 10−9 ml methane cell−1 d−1 in the acidogenic reactor and 1.56 × 10−9 ml methane cell−1 d−1 in the methanogenic reactor for 4 days of the HRT. A high correlation was evident between the methane production and methanogenic population [0.1354 ln(x) − 2.1375](R2 0.8619).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clescerli LS,Greenberg AE (1990) Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 19th edn. Washington DC: American Public Health Association.Google Scholar
- Doddema H,Vogels G (1978) Improved identification of methanogenic bacteria by fluorescence microscopy. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 36: 752-754.Google Scholar
- Fynn GH,Withmore TN (1982) Colonization of polyurethane reticulated foam biomass support particle by methanogenic species. Biotechnol. Lett. 4: 577-582.Google Scholar
- Jain M,Zeikus G,Bhatnagar L (1991) Anaerobic Microbiology. A Practical Approach. New York: Oxford Press, pp. 223-245.Google Scholar
- Jawed M,Tare V (1999) Microbial composition assessment of anaerobic biomass through methanogenic activity test. Water SA 25: 345-350.Google Scholar
- Lazarova V,Manem J (1995) Biofilm characterization and activity analysis in water and wastewater treatment. Water Res. 29: 2227-2245.Google Scholar
- Nebot E,Romero LI,Quiroga JM,Sales D (1995) Effect of the feed frequency on the performance of anaerobic filters. Anaerobe 1: 113-120.Google Scholar
- Pérez M,Romero L,Sales D (1997) Performance of fixed-film reactors for anaerobic treatment of wine-distillery wastewater: effect of the influent pH conditions. Chem. Biochem. Eng. 11: 133-137.Google Scholar
- Shang Y,Sung S (1998) Comparison of temperature-phased and two-phase anaerobic digestion of cellulose. Proc. Water Environ. Fed. (Annu. Conf. Exp.) 71: 431-442.Google Scholar
- Solera R,Romero LI,Sales D (2001) Determination of microbial population in thermophilic anaerobic reactor: comparative analysis by different counting methods. Anaerobe 7: 79-86.Google Scholar
- van der Berg L,Kennedy KL (1981) Potential use of anaerobic process for industrial waste treatment. Biotechnol. Lett. 3: 165.Google Scholar