Studies on the Pathogenesis of Shimao Zheng (Fleece-eating) in Sheep and Goats
- 61 Downloads
Research on the disease called shimao zheng, which had resulted in widespread fleece-eating and shedding by sheep and goats in the Haizi area of Akesa County of Gansu Province of China, was carried out by both laboratory studies and pathological observations. There was a marked deficiency of sulfur in the wool and tissues of the affected animals. The pathological changes were mainly loss of fleece, exposure of the skin, keratinization of the epidermal cells, narrowing and reduced numbers of the fleece follicles, and fewer sebaceous glands and sweat glands. Histologically, there was atrophy of the striated and cardiac muscles and of the epithelium of the convoluted tubules of the kidney, together with a glomerulonephritis. The disease was considered to be a local nutritional and metabolic disorder, probably mainly caused by sulfur deficiency.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duan, D.X., 1989. Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2nd edn, (Agricultural Press, Beijing), 344-346Google Scholar
- Georgievaskii, V.I., Annenkov, B.N. and Samokhin, V.T., 1982. Mineral Nutrition of Animals, (Butterworths, London), 91-222Google Scholar
- Huang, Y.D., 2001. Preliminary epidemiological and clinical observations on shimao zheng (fleece-eating) in goats and sheep. Veterinary Research Communications, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Liu, Z.P., Ma, Z., Zhang, Y.J., Zhao, Z.L. and Wu, W.Q., 1992. The research about blood and hair trace elements of healthy sheep and goats. Journal of Gansu Agricultural University, 27, 190-195 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Lu, X.W. and Jiang, Y., 1992. Sheep Husbandry, 2nd edn, (Agricultural Press, Beijing), 258-263 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Qiu, X.Z. and Zhang, H.J., 1996. Practical Manual of Animal Poisoning, (Sichuan University Press, Chengdu), 399-412 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Thomas, W.C., Loosli, J.K., Williams, H.H. and Maynard, L.A., 1951. The effect of sulphur deficiency in lamb. Journal of Nutrition, 43, 515Google Scholar
- Wang, K., 1991. Trace Elements in Life Science, (Metrology Press, Beijing), 100-106 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang, L.Y. and Huang, Y.D., 1996. Improvement experiment of ashing and distilling-fluorine reagent colorimetric analysis. Journal of Qinghai Meadow Industry, 4, 12-15 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wen, F.W., Zhang, S.D., Zhang, H.W., Lu, T.A. and Jiang, D.R., 1983. The study on total sulphur estimating method in wool, feeds and blood. Journal of Gansu Agricultural University, 4, 29-37 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhu, X.R. and Zhu, K.X., 1988. Veterinary Pathologic Anatomy, 2nd edn, (Agricultural Press, Beijing), 228-276Google Scholar