The Advantages of Theft over Toil: The Design Inference and Arguing from Ignorance
- 95 Downloads
Intelligent design theorist William Dembski hasproposed an ``explanatory filter'' fordistinguishing between events due to chance,lawful regularity or design. We show that ifDembski's filter were adopted as a scientificheuristic, some classical developments inscience would not be rational, and thatDembski's assertion that the filter reliablyidentifies rarefied design requires ignoringthe state of background knowledge. Ifbackground information changes even slightly,the filter's conclusion will vary wildly.Dembski fails to overcome Hume's objections toarguments from design.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dawkins, R.: 1986, The Blind Watchmaker, Longman Scientific and Technical, Harlow.Google Scholar
- Dembski, W.A.: 1998, The Design Inference: Eliminating Chance through Small Probabilities, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge/New York.Google Scholar
- Dembski, W.A.: 1999, Explaining specified complexity. Meta-Views #139, http://listserv. omni-list.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2 =ind99&L=metaviews&D=1.Google Scholar
- Fitelson, B., Stephens, C. and Sober, E.: 1999, ‘How Not to Detect Design-Critical Notice: William A. Dembski, The Design Inference’, Philosophy of Science 66(3), 472–488.Google Scholar
- Kauffman, S.A.: 1993, The Origins of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kauffman, S.A.: 1995, At Home in the Universe: The Search for Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity. Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kitcher, P.: 1998, ‘Function and Design’, in C. Allen, M. Bekoff and G. Lauder (eds), Nature's Purposes: Analyses of Function and Design in Biology, MIT Press: A Bradford Book, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Pennock, R.T.: 1999, Tower of Babel: The Evidence Against the New Creationism, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Sober, E.: 1993, Philosophy of Biology, Dimensions of Philosophy Series, Westview Press, Boulder, CO.Google Scholar
- de Solla Price, D.: 1974, ‘Gears from the Greeks: The Antikythera Mechanism-a Calendar Computer from ca. 80 B C’, Transactions of the American Philosophical Society 64(7), 1–70.Google Scholar
- Szathmáry, E.: 1997, ‘Origins of Life. The First Two Billion Years’, Nature 387(6634), 662–663.Google Scholar
- Wächtershäuser, G.: 1997, ‘The Origin of Life and Its Methodological Challenge’, Journal of Theoretical Biology 187(4), 483–494.Google Scholar