Stochastic Modeling of the Residual Acceleration Field in a Microgravity Environment
- 29 Downloads
We discuss fluid flows induced by thehigh-frequency components of the residual acceleration field onboard spacecraft (g-jitter) on representative experimental configurations.We study the statistics of g-jitter time series data from theNASA SL-J mission (SAMS-258), and discuss a recently introducedstochastic model of g-jitter. The examples studied are chosen to highlightintrinsically stochastic effects of g-jitter. They include free surfaceresonances, cavity flow, and inertial Brownian motion in suspensions. Thelatter is relevant for coarsening experiments in solid-liquid mixtures.
KeywordsTime Series Fluid Flow Brownian Motion Series Data Stochastic Modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexander, J.: 1990, Low-gravity experiment sensitivity to residual acceleration: a review, Microgravity sci. technol. 3, 52.Google Scholar
- Casademunt, J. and Viñals, J.: 1993, Convection induced by a fluctuating acceleration field, in: D. Siginer, R. Thompson and L. Trefethen (eds.), Fluid Mechanics Phenomena in Microgravity, Vol. 175. ASME, p. 133.Google Scholar
- Casademunt, J., Zhang, W., Viñals, J. and Sekerka. R.: 1993, Stability of a fluid surface in a microgravity environment, AIAA J. 31, 2017.Google Scholar
- DeLombard, R., McPherson, K., Moskowitz, M. and Hrovat, K.: 1997, Comparison Tools for Assessing the Microgravity Environment of Missions, Carriers and Conditions, Technical Report TM 107446, NASA.Google Scholar
- Koster, J. and Sani, R. (eds.): 1990, Low-Gravity Fluid Dynamics and Transport Phenomena, Vol. 130 of Progress in Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA, Washington.Google Scholar
- Kumar, K. and Tuckerman, L.: 1994, Parametric instability of the interface between two fluids, J. Fluid. Mech. 279, 49.Google Scholar
- Nelson, E.: 1991, An examination of anticipated g-jitter on Space Station and its effects on Materials Processes, Technical Report TM 103775, NASA.Google Scholar
- Thomson, J., Casademunt, J., Drolet, F. and Viñals, J.: 1997, Coarsening of solid-liquid mixtures in a random acceleration field, Phys. Fluids 9, 1336.Google Scholar
- Thomson, J., Casademunt, J. and Viñals, J.: 1995, Cavity flow induced by a fluctuating acceleration field, Phys. Fluids 7, 292.Google Scholar
- Walter, H. (ed.): 1987, Fluid Sciences and Materials Sciences in Space, Springer Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Zhang, W., Casademunt, J. and Viñals, J.: 1993, Study of the parametric oscillator driven by narrow band noise to model the response of a fluid surface to time-dependent accelerations, Phys. Fluids A 5, 3147.Google Scholar