Microcalorimetric Monitoring of Anaerobic Digestion Processes
- 73 Downloads
Microcalorimetry was used for monitoring anaerobic digestion processes of heavily polluted industrial waste waters (from cheese industry, distilleries, yeast plant). Interpreting the thermal power-time curves by HPLC, some sub-processes in batch cultures were tentatively identified as acidogenic, acetogenic and methanogenic. Processes underlying power-time curves up to 10 h were different for different wastes. In the case of cheese whey and distillery waste it was acidogenesis, in the case of sulfate containing waste - presumably reduction of sulfates. The effect of Biotreat 100 (BimKemi Eesti Ltd.), a preparation for removing H2S from waste water, was observed for these processes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. O'Flaherty and E. Colleran, Sulfur problems in anaerobic digestion. In: Environmental technologies to treat sulfur pollution. Ed. by P. Lens and L. W. Hulshoff Pol, IWA Publishing, 2000, p. 473.Google Scholar
- 2.P. R. Monk, J. Bacteriol., 135 (1978) 373.Google Scholar
- 12.I. Wadsö, Thermochim. Acta, 254 (1997) 1.Google Scholar
- 13.V. Blonskaja, H. Mölder, A. Menert, E. Rikmann and R. Vilu, 2nd International Conference on Integrated Sustainable Waste and Water Management and Green Procurement. Copenhagen, Denmark, 1-3 June 1999, Abstracts, p.11.Google Scholar
- 14.V. Blonskaja, H. Mölder, A. Menert, E. Rikmann and R. Vilu, Eur. Wat. Manag., in press.Google Scholar
- 15.V. Blonskaja, H. Mölder, O. Sokk and T. Vaalu, Heleco '99, Environmental Technology for the 21st Century. Third International Exhibition and Conference. 3-6 June 1999, Thessaloniki, Greece, p. 57.Google Scholar
- 16.R. T. Marsili, R. E. Ostapenko, R. E. Simmons and D. F. Green, J. Food Sci., 46 (1981) 52.Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Y. Lurye, Analytical chemistry of industrial waste waters. Chimija, Moscow, 1984, p. 448 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 18.Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste Water, Ed. L. C. Clesceri, A. E. Breenberg and R. R. Trussel, Washington, 1989, pp. 4-207.Google Scholar
- 19.M. Sterritt and J. N. Lester, Microbiology for Environmental and Public Health Engineers. Chapman & Hall, London-New York 1994.Google Scholar
- 21.Biotreat 100. Summary. BimKemi Eesti Ltd., 1997.Google Scholar