With existing technology, it is already possible for personal agents to schedule meetings for their users, to write the small print of an agreement, and for agents to search the Internet for the cheapest price. But serious negotiation cranks the difficulty of the problem up several notches. In this paper, we review what game theory has to offer in the light of experience gained in programming automated agents within the ADEPT (Advance Decision Environment for Process Tasks) project, which is currently being used by British Telecom for some purposes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Binmore, Bargaining and coalitions, in: Game Theoretic Models of Bargaining, ed. A.E. Roth (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1985) pp. 269–304.Google Scholar
- K. Chatterjee and C.C. Lee, Bargaining and search with incomplete information about outside options, mimeo (1996).Google Scholar
- S. Hurkens and N. Vulkan, Information acquisition and entry, Discussion paper 96–23, University College London (1996).Google Scholar
- S. Matthews, Information acquisition in discriminatory auctions, in: Bayesian Models in Economic Theory, eds. M. Boyer and R.E. Kihlstrom (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1984).Google Scholar
- A.J. Rodríguez, P. Noriega, C. Sierra and J. Padget, FM96.5 – A Java-based electronic auction house, in: 2nd Internat. Conf. on the Practical Application of Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agent Technology: PAAM '97 (1997).Google Scholar
- J. Rosenschein and G. Zlotkin, Rules of Encounter (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994).Google Scholar
- A. Rubinstein, Choice of conjectures in a bargaining game with incomplete information, in: Game Theoretic Models of Bargaining, ed. A.E. Roth (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1985) pp. 99–114.Google Scholar
- C. Sierra, P. Faratin and N.R. Jennings, A service-oriented negotiation model between autonomous agents, in: Proc. of Modeling Autonomous Agents in a Multi-Agent World (MAAMAW) (1997).Google Scholar
- R.H. Varian, Economic mechanism design for computerised agents, in: USENIX Workshop on Electronic Commerce, New York (July 1995).Google Scholar
- N. Vulkan, Uncertainty, information acquisition and economic equilibria, Ph.D. thesis, University College London (1996).Google Scholar