Clinical Application of Procedural Platelet Monitoring during Percutaneous Coronary Intervention among Patients at Increased Bleeding Risk
- 28 Downloads
The goal of platelet function testing in the catheterization laboratory is to provide information about the platelet contributions to the risk of thrombotic or hemorrhagic events and optimization of anti-platelet therapy for percutaneous interventions. We present several illustrative cases in which platelet monitoring with the Rapid Platelet Function Assay (RPFATM, Accumetrics) was used to guide dosing of a glycoprotein (GP) IIb/IIIa inhibitor for coronary and peripheral intervention among patients at increased bleeding risk.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Topol EJ, Byzova TV, Plow EF. Platelet GP IIb/IIIa blockers. Lancet 1999;353:227–231.Google Scholar
- 2.Lincoff AM, Califf RM, Topol EJ. Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade in coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35(5):1103–1115.Google Scholar
- 3.Topol EJ, Ferguson JJ, Weisman HF. Long-term protection from myocardial ischemic events in a randomized trial of brief integrin beta3 blockade with percutaneous coronary intervention. EPIC Investigator Group. Evaluation of Platelet IIb/IIIa Inhibition for Prevention of Ischemic Complication. JAMA 1997;278(6):479–484.Google Scholar
- 4.Coller BS, Lang D, Scudder LE. Rapid and simple platelet function assay to assess glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade. Circulation 1997;95(4):860–867.Google Scholar
- 5.Smith JW, Steinhubl SR, Lincoff AM, et al. Rapid platelet-function assay: an automated and quantitative cartridge-based method. Circulation 1999;99(5):620–625.Google Scholar
- 6.Steinhubl SR. Assessing the optimal level of platelet inhibition with GP IIb/IIIa inhibitors in patients undergoing coronary intervention. Rationale and design of the GOLD study. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2000;9(3):199–205.Google Scholar
- 7.Steinhubl S, Talley D, Kereiakes D, et al. A prospective multicenter study to determine the optimal level of platelet inhibition with GP IIb/IIIa inhibitors in patients undergoing coronary intervention — The GOLD study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35(2)(suppl A):44A.Google Scholar
- 8.Mukherjee D, Moliterno DJ. Applications of anti-platelet monitoring in catheterization laboratory. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2000;9(3):293–301.Google Scholar