Dielectric properties of thin solid films formed on silicon
- 54 Downloads
We report on the measurement of the frequency-dependent complex permittivity, ɛ(ω)=′ɛ(ω)-iɛ″(ω), over the frequency range, 30 MHz to 6 GHz, of silicon wafers and of thin dielectric films formed on silicon. Measurements, as a function of temperature and time treatments, were obtained by means of an HP Network Analyzer and dielectric probe and the resulting ɛ′(ω)andɛ″(ω)plots for the silicon wafers are shown to have a Debye-type  profile, thereby indicating that the associated polarization mechanism is of the orientational variety.
KeywordsSilicon Electronic Material Dielectric Property Network Analyzer Time Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Debye, “Polar Molecules” (The Chemical Catalog Company Ltd, New York, 1929).Google Scholar
- 2.A. K. Jonscher, “Dielectric Relaxation in Solids” (Chelsea Dielectric Press, London, 1983).Google Scholar
- 3.B. K. P. Scaife, “Principles of Dielectrics” (Clarendon, Oxford, 1989).Google Scholar
- 4.X. Z. Ding, Lu Taijing, C. K. Oong and B. T. G. Tan, J. Phys. Chem Solids 55 (1994) 1369.Google Scholar
- 5.X. Z. Ding, Lu Taijing, C. K. Oong and B. T. G. Tan, Meas. Sci. Technol. 6 (1995) 281.Google Scholar
- 6.K. S. Cole and R. H. Cole, J. Chem. Phys. 9 (1941) 341.Google Scholar
- 7.X. Z. Ding, Lu Taijing, C. K. Oong and B. T. G. Tan, J. Appl. Phys. 75 (1994) 7444.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Joyce, C. Moore, T. S. Perova, C. Beitia, A. Kocot, K. Berwick, R. A. Moore H. Byrne and J. F. Mcgilp, Book of Pre-Prints of the Third International Conference on Materials for Microelectronics, 16–17 October 2000, Dublin, Ireland (IOM Communications Ltd., London) p. 251.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Nolan, T. S. Perova, R. A. Moore, C. E. Beitia, J. Mcgilp and H. S. Gamble, J. Electrochem. Soc. 147 (2000) 3100.Google Scholar