The Phase Space Structure Around L4 in the Restricted Three-Body Problem
The phase space structure around L4 in the restricted three-body problem is investigated. The connection between the long period family emanating from L4 and the very complex structure of the stability region is shown by using the method of Poincaré’s surface of section. The zero initial velocity stability region around L4 is determined by using a method based on the calculation of finite-time Lyapunov characteristic numbers. It is shown that the boundary of the stability region in the configuration space is formed by orbits suffering slow chaotic diffusion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Contopoulos, G. and Voglis, N.: 1997, A fast method for distinguishing between ordered and chaotic orbits, Astr. Astrophys. 317, 73.Google Scholar
- Dvorak, R. and Lohinger, E.: 1991, in: A. E. Roy (ed.) Predictability, Stability, and Chaos in N-Body Dynamical Systems, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 439–446.Google Scholar
- Érdi, B.: 1997, The Trojan problem, Celest. Mech. & Dyn. Astr. 65, 149.Google Scholar
- Froeschlé, C., Froeschlé, Ch. and Lohinger, E.: 1993, Generalized Lyapunov indicators and corresponding Kolmogorov-like entropy of the standard mapping, Celest. Mech. & Dyn. Astr. 56, 307.Google Scholar
- Giorgilli, A. and Skokos, Ch.: 1997, On the stability of the Trojan asteroids, Astr. Astrophys. 317, 254.Google Scholar
- Györgyey, J.: 1985, On the non-linear stability of motions around L5 in the elliptic restricted problem of three bodies, Celest. Mech. 36, 281.Google Scholar
- Henrard, J.: 1983, On Browns conjecture, Celest. Mech. 31, 115.Google Scholar
- Lohinger, E. and Dvorak, R.: 1993, Stability regions around L4 in the eliptic restricted problem, Astr. Astrophys. 280, 683.Google Scholar
- McKenzie, R. and Szebehely, V. G.: 1981, Non-linear stability around the triangular libration points, Celest. Mech. 23, 223.Google Scholar
- Sándor, Zs., Balla, R. F., Téger, F. and Érdi, B.: 2000, Short time Lyapunov indicators in the restricted three-body problem, Celest. Mech. & Dyn. Astr. (in press)Google Scholar
- Szebehely, V. G.: 1967, Theory of Orbits, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Tuckness, D. G.: 1995, Position and velocity sensiturties at the triangular libration points, Celest. Mech. & Dyn. Astr. 61, 1.Google Scholar
- Voglis, N. and Contopoulos, G.: 1994, Invariant spectra of orbits in dynamical systems, J. Phys. A, 27, 4899.Google Scholar