Induction of cardiac FABP gene expression by long chain fatty acids in cultured rat muscle cells
The induction of cardiac FABP expression by long‐chain fatty acids was measured in cultured rat myoblasts, myotubes and adult cardiomyocytes. With quantitative RT‐PCR techniques, the primary transcription product of the FABP gene and the mature mRNA were measured. Incubations of 30 min resulted in a larger than 2‐fold increase of the primary transcript in all cells, and FABP mRNA more than doubled in myoblasts and cardiomyocytes after 10 h of fatty acid exposure. The results demonstrate that long chain fatty acids induce the expression of the cardiac FABP gene in muscle cells and their undifferentiated precursors at the level of transcription initiation, suggesting that all factors involved in fatty acid dependent gene induction are already present in myoblasts. Thus, myoblast cell lines should be useful for the characterization of fatty acid response elements that control the expression of the FABP gene.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Haunerland NH: Fatty acid binding proteins in locust and mammalian muscle. Comparison of structure, function, and regulation. Comp Biochem Physiol 109B: 199–208, 1994Google Scholar
- 7.Kempen KP, Saris WH, Kuipers H, Glatz JF, van Der Vusse GJ: Skeletal muscle metabolic characteristics before and after energy restriction in human obesity: Fibre type, enzymatic beta-oxidative capacity and fatty acid-binding protein content. Eur J Clin Invest 28: 1030–1037, 1998CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rodriguez B, Severson D: Preparation of cardiomyocytes. In: J.H. McNeill (ed). Biochemical Techniques in the Heart. CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1997, pp 101–115Google Scholar
- 17.Kliewer SA, Sundseth SS, Jones SA, Brown PJ, Wisely GB, Koble CS, Devchand P, Wahli W, Willson TM, Lenhard JM, Lehmann JM: Fatty acids and eicosanoids regulate gene expression through direct interactions with peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors alpha and gamma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 4318–4323, 1997CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.de Vries JE, Vork MM, Roemen TH, de Jong YF, Cleutjens JP, van der Vusse GJ, van Bilsen M: Saturated but not mono-unsaturated fatty acids induce apoptotic cell death in neonatal rat ventricular myocytes. J Lipid Res 8: 1384–1394, 1997Google Scholar