The exact analysis of a network of queues with multiple products is, in general, prohibited because of the non-renewal structure of the arrival and departure processes. Two-moment approximations (decomposition methods, Whitt  ) have been successfully used to study these systems. The performance of these methods, however, strongly depends on the quality of the approximations used to compute the squared coefficient variation (CV) of the different streams of products.
In this paper, an approximation method for computing the squared coefficient of variation of the departure stream from a multi-class queueing system is presented. In particular, we generalize the results of Bitran and Tirupati  and Whitt  related to the interference effect.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Abate and W. Whitt, Numerical inversion of laplace transforms of probability distributions, ORSA J. Comput. 7 (1995) 36-43.Google Scholar
- G. Bitran and S. Dasu, A review of open queueing network models of manufacturing systems, Queueing Systems 12 (1992) 95-134.Google Scholar
- G. Bitran and D. Tirupati, Multiproduct queueing networks with deterministic routing: Decomposition approach and the notion of interference, Managm. Sci. 34(1) (1988) 75-100.Google Scholar
- D. Cox, Renewal Theory (Methuen, London, 1972).Google Scholar
- A. Khintchine, Mathematical Methods in Queueing Theory (Griffin, London, 1960).Google Scholar
- W. Kraemer and M. Langenbach-Belz, Approximate formulae for the delay in the queueing system GI/G/1, in: Congressbook, 8th ITC, Melbourne, 1976, pp. 235.1-235.8.Google Scholar
- P. Kuehn, Approximate analysis of general queueing networks by decomposition, IEEE Trans. Commun. 27 (1979) 113-126.Google Scholar
- W. Whitt, Approximating a point process by a renewal process: Two basic methods, Oper. Res. 30(1) (1982) 125-147.Google Scholar
- W. Whitt, The queueing network analyzer, Bell System Techn. J. 62 (1983) 2779-2843.Google Scholar
- W. Whitt, Approximations for departure processes and queues in series, Naval Res. Logist. Quart. 31 (1984) 499-521.Google Scholar
- W. Whitt, Towards better multi-class parametric-decomposition approximations for open queueing networks, Ann. Oper. Res. 48 (1994) 221-248.Google Scholar