Phase II Study of Bryostatin 1 in Patients with Relapsed Multiple Myeloma
Bryostatin 1, a macrocyclic lactoneisolated from the marine bryozoan Bugula neritina,is a protein kinase C (PKC) modulator which has shown bothpreclinical and clinical activity inlymphoid malignancies. We conducted aphase II trial of bryostatin 1 administeredat a dose of 120 μg/m2 by 72-hcontinuous infusion every 2 weeks inpatients with relapsed multiple myeloma. Treatment was well tolerated with myalgiasconstituting the primaray toxicity. Therewere no responses in nine evaluablepatients. The preclinical anti-lymphoidactivity is strong enough to supportfurther exploration of bryostatin 1 indifferent schedules and in combinationtherapy for multiple myeloma.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pettit GR, Herald SL, Doubek DL: Isolation and structure of bryostatin 1. J Am Chem Soc 104: 6846–6848, 1982Google Scholar
- 2.Kraft AS, Smith JB, Berkow RL: Bryostatin, an activator of calcium phospholipid-dependent protein kinase, blocks phorbol ester-induced differentiation of human promyelocytic HL-60 cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 1334–1338, 1986Google Scholar
- 3.National Cancer Institute: Guidelines for Reporting of Adverse Drug Reactions. Bethesda, MD, Division of Cancer Treatment, National Cancer Institute, 1988Google Scholar
- 4.Mohammad RM, Al-Katib A, Pettit GR, Sensenbrenner LL: Successful treatment of human Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia with combination biological and chemotherapy agents. Cancer Res 54: 165–168, 1994Google Scholar
- 5.Mohammad RM, Diwakaran H, Maii A, Emara MA, Pettit GR, Redman B, Al-Katib A: Bryostatin 1 induces apoptosis and augments inhibitory effects of vincristine in human diffuse large cell lymphoma. Leuk Res 19: 667–673, 1995Google Scholar
- 6.Al-Katib A, Smith MR, Kamanda WS, Pettit GR, Hamdan M, Mohamed AN, Chelladurai B, Mohammad RM: Bryostatin 1 down-regulates mdr1 and potentitates vincristine cytotoxicity in diffuse large cell lymphoma xenografts. Clin Cancer Res 4: 1305–1314, 1998Google Scholar
- 7.Maki A, Diwakaran H, Redman B, Al-Asfar, S, Pettit GR, Mohammad RM, Al-Katib A: The bcl-2 and p53 oncoproteins can be modulated by bryostatin 1 and dolastatins in human diffuse large cell lymphoma. Anticancer Drugs 6: 392–397, 1995Google Scholar
- 8.Varterasian ML, Mohammad RM, Eilender DS, Hulburd K, Rodriguez D, Pemberton PA, Pluda J, Dan MD, Pettit GR, Chen B, Al-Katib: Phase I study of bryostatin 1 in patients with relapsed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 16: 56–62, 1998Google Scholar
- 9.Varterasian ML, Mohammad RM, Shurafa MS, Hulburd K, Pamberton PA, Rodriguez DH, Spadoni V, Eilender DS, Murgo A, Wall N, Dan M, Al-Katib AM: Phase II trial of bryostatin 1 in patients with relapsed low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Clin Cancer Res 6: 825–828, 2000Google Scholar