Determination of isotopic uranium in food and water
- 64 Downloads
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) conducts surveys of foods both domestic and imported for the presence of radioactivity. It does not routinely analyze for the actinides, specifically uranium, as it has been shown by previously by studies as reported by WELFORD and others that the concentration in food is very low. This was the result of a "Tri-City" study. However, at specific sites, the FDA has been requested to analyze for uranium. The concern is that either 'enriched' or 'depleted' uranium has been introduced into the environment and possibly contaminated the food supply. In addition some concern has been raised that water from wells or other sources used for processing food may contain uranium, both natural, depleted or enriched. This paper will discuss the methodology for the determination of isotopic uranium, specifically for uranium-238 (depleted) and/or uranium-235 (enriched) in the analyses of food and water samples and the results of these surveys.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Uranium Water Sample Food Supply
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. E. Simpson, F. G. Shuman, E. J. Baratta, Health Phys., 40 (1981) 529.Google Scholar
- 2.W. B. Stroube, Jr., C. F. Jelinek, E. J. Baratta, Health Phys., 49 (1985) 731.Google Scholar
- 4.W. C. Cunningham, D. L. Anderson, E. J. Baratta, J. AOAC Intern., 77 (1994) 1422.Google Scholar
- 5.E. J. Baratta, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 194 (1995) 157.Google Scholar
- 6.G. A. Welford, R. Baird, I. M. Fisenne, 16th Annual Bioassay and Analytical Chemistry Conference, 1970.Google Scholar
- 7.K. A. Kraus, F. Nelson, Proc. Intern. Conf. on Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy, 1955, p. 837.Google Scholar
- 8.E. J. Baratta, E. S. Ferri, T. C. Reaney, Public Health Services Report, NERHL-65-4, 1965, p. 3A1.Google Scholar
- 9.Environmental Measurements Laboratory: Procedures Manual HASL-300 (Revised 1992).Google Scholar
- 10.Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 18th ed., 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.Radioassay Procedures for Environmental Samples, Environmental Health Series, DHEW, PHS, 1967, (4.0).Google Scholar