High-density culture of recombinant Chinese hamster ovary cells producing prothrombin in protein-free medium
A recombinant CHO cell line, CHO2DS, was immobilized on porous microcarrier Cytopore 1 and cultivated in 1 l modified Super-spinner and 2 l stirred tank bioreactor with the perfusion of a low-cost chemically defined protein-free medium DF6S. CHO2DS cells could enter into the inner space and grew both in the inner space and on the surface of Cytopore 1 in DF6S and produced prothrombin at 22 mg l−1 after 10 days. From a seeding density of 5.7 × 105 cells ml−1, the highest viable cell density of CHO2DS was 1.12 × 107 cells ml−1.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen ZL, Iding K, Ltkemeyer D, Lehmann J (2000) A low-cost chemically defined protein free medium for a recombinant CHO cell line producing prothrombin. Biotechnol. Lett. 22: 837-841.Google Scholar
- Griffiths B (1992) Alternative strategies to the scale up of animal cells. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 665: 364-370.Google Scholar
- Griffiths JB (1990) Immobilization of animal cells in porous microcarriers for animal cell culture. Trends Biotechnol. 8: 131-136.Google Scholar
- Griffiths JB, Cameron DR, Looby D (1987) A comparison of unit process system for anchorage dependent cells. Dev. Biol. Stand. 66: 331-328.Google Scholar
- Jia XH, Xiao CZ (1993) Thiazolyl Blue method for the estimation of the number of cells cultivation in microcapsules. Bull. Mil. Med. Sci. 17: 207-211.Google Scholar
- Kaufman RJ, Wasley LC, Spiliotes AJ, Gossels SD, Latt SA, Larsen GR, Kay RM (1985) Coamplification and coexpression of human tissue-type plasminogen activator and murine dihydrofolate reductase sequences in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Mol. Cell. Biol. 5: 1750-1759.Google Scholar
- Kipriyanov SM, Little M (1999) Generation of recombinant antibodies. Mol Biotechnol. 12: 173-201.Google Scholar
- Lubiniecki AS (1998) Historical reflections on cell culture engineering. Cytotechnology 28: 139-145.Google Scholar
- Murakami H (1990) What should be focused in the study of cell culture technology for production of bioactive proteins. Cytotechnology 3: 3-7.Google Scholar
- Myrset AH, Helgeland L (1991) A novel enzyme immunoassay for quantitation of rat prothrombin in microsomal subfraction. J. Immunoassay 12: 597-609.Google Scholar
- Wood WI, Capon DJ, Simonsen CC, Eaton DL, Gitschier J, Keyt B, Seeburg PH, Smith DH, Hollingshead P, Wion KL, Delwart E, Tuddenham EGD, Vehar GA, Lawn RM (1984) Expression of active human factor VIII from recombinant DNA clones. Nature 312: 330-337.Google Scholar