Mangroves as a coastal protection from waves in the Tong King delta, Vietnam
- 1k Downloads
The wave reduction (wave period; 5–8 sec.) was investigated in amangrove reforestation area (Kandelia candel) close toaquaculture ponds in the Tong King delta, Vietnam.
On one site where only young mangrove trees grew, the wavereduction due to the drag force on the trees was hardlyeffective. On the other site where mangrove trees weresufficiently tall, the rate of wave reduction per 100 m was aslarge as 20%. Due to the high density of vegetation distributedthroughout the whole water depth, the effect of wave reductionwas large even when the water depth increased. These resultsdemonstrate the usefulness of mangrove reforestation for coastalprotection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bretschneider, C.L. and Reid, R.O. 1954. Modification of wave-height due to bottom friction, percolation and refraction. B.E.B. Tech. Memo., No. 45, 1–36.Google Scholar
- Bretschneider, C.L. 1954. Generation of wind waves over a shallow bottom. B.E.B. Tech. Memo., No. 51, 1–24.Google Scholar
- Furukawa, K. and Wolanski, E. 1996. Sedimentation in mangrove forests. Mangroves and Salt Marshes, 1, 3–10.Google Scholar
- Hong, P.N. and San, H.T. 1993. Mangroves of Vietnam. IUCN, Bangkok, Thailand, 173 pp.Google Scholar
- Iwagaki, I. and Kakinuma, T. 1967. On the bottom friction factors off five Japanese coasts. Coast. Eng. Japan. Vol.X, 13–22.Google Scholar
- Kjerfve, B. 1990. Manual for investigation of hydrological processes in mangrove ecosystems. UNESCO/UNDP, Tompson Press, 79 pp.Google Scholar
- Lugo, A.E. and Snedaker, S.C. 1974. The ecology of mangroves. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 5: 39–64.Google Scholar
- Mazda, Y., Yokochi, H. and Sato, Y. 1990. Groundwater flow in the Bashita-Minato mangrove area, and its influence on water and bottom mud properties. Estuar., Coast. and Shelf Sci. 31: 621–638.Google Scholar
- Mazda, Y. 1993. Present situation of physical study in mangrove regions. J. Fac. Marine Sci. and Tech., Tokai Univ. 35: 169–184.Google Scholar
- Mazda, Y., Kanazawa, N. and Wolanski, E. 1995. Tidal asymmetry in mangrove creeks. Hydrobiologia 295: 51–58.Google Scholar
- Ridd. P.V., Wolanski, E. and Mazda, Y. 1990. Longitudinal diffusion in mangrove-fringed tidal creeks. Estuar., Coast. and Shelf Sci. 31: 541–554.Google Scholar
- Wolanski, E., Mazada, Y., King, B. and Gay, S. 1990. Dynamics, flashing and trapping in Hinchinbrook Channel, a giant mangrove swamp, Australia. Estuar., Coast. And Shelf Sci. 31: 555–579.Google Scholar
- Wolanski, E., Mazda, Y. and Ridd, P.V. 1992. Mangrove hydrodynamics. In: Robertson, A.I. and Alongi, D.M. (eds), Tropical Mangrove Ecosystems. Coastal and Estuarine Studies 41. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, 43–62.Google Scholar