Physical mapping, expression patterns and interphase organisation of rDNA loci in Portuguese endemic Silene cintrana and Silene rothmaleri
- 54 Downloads
Double target in situ hybridization to root tip metaphase and interphase cells of Silene cintrana and Silene rothmaleri was used to allocate the position of 18S-5.8S-25S and 5S rRNA genes. In both species, the 18S-5.8S-25S rDNA probe labelled four sites located on the short arms of two submetacentric chromosomes. Only one locus for 5S rDNA was mapped adjacent to 18S-5.8S-25S genes in a subterminal position on the centromere side: in S. rothmaleri the 5S rDNA locus was adjacent to the small 18S-5.8S-25S locus while in S. cintrana it was near the large one. The NOR activity analysed by Ag-staining in metaphase cells revealed proportionality between in situ labelling dimensions and Ag-NORs. In both species all rDNA loci were potentially active, although in S. rothmaleri a tendency for the expression of only one locus was observed. Interphase organisation analysis of rDNA showed some differences between both species that were correlated with NOR activity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ciupercescu DD, Veuskens J, Mouras A, Ye D, Briquet M, Negrutiu I (1990) Karyotyping Melandrium album, a dioecious plant with heteromorphic sex chromosomes. Genome 33: 556-562.Google Scholar
- Jeanmonod D (1984) Révision de la section Siphonomorphas Otth. Du genre Silene L. (Caryophyllaceae) en Méditerranée occidentale. IV: Species caeterae. Candollea 40: 5-34.Google Scholar
- IUCN (1980) World Conservation Strategy. Gland, Internacional Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, United Nations Environmental Program, World Wildlife Foundation.Google Scholar
- Shaw P, Rawlins D, Highet M (1993) Nuclear and nucleolar structure in plants. In: Heslop-Harrison JS, Flavell RB, eds. The Chromosome. Oxford: Bios Scientific Publishers, pp 161-171.Google Scholar
- Talavera S (1990) Silene. In: Castroviejo S, Lainz M, Löpez-Gonzalez G et al. eds. Flora Ibérica. pp 363-377.Google Scholar