This paper briefly presents a critical review concerning the chemical reactions involved when superoxide or hydrogen peroxide meet iron complexes. The data commented on are required for a correct interpretation of the chemical processes which play a paramount role in the biological activation of dioxygen and arise in normal metabolism as well as in pathological processes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmad S, Mc Callum JD, Shiemke AK et al. 1988 Raman spectroscopic evidence for side-on binding of peroxide ion to Fe(III)-EDTA. Inorg Chem 27, 2230-2233.Google Scholar
- Brennan BA, Chen Q, Juarez-Garcia C et al. 1991 Models for diiron-oxo proteins: the peroxide adduct of Fe2(HPTB)(OH)(NO3)4. Inorg Chem 30, 1937-1943.Google Scholar
- Borg DC, Schaich KM. 1986 Prooxidant action of desferrioxamine: Fenton like production of hydroxyl radicals by reduced ferrioxamine. J Free Rad Biol Med 2, 237-243.Google Scholar
- Coves J, Fontecave M. 1993 Reduction and mobilization of iron by a NAD(P)H:flavinoxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem 211, 635-641.Google Scholar
- Crichton RR. 1991 Inorganic Biochemistry of Iron Metabolism. New-York, London: Ellis Horwood.Google Scholar
- Fontecave M, Menage S, Duboc-Toia C. 1998 Functional models of non-heme iron enzymes. Coord Chem Rev 178–180, 1555-1572.Google Scholar
- Gutteridge JMC, Maidt L, Poyer L. 1990 Superoxide dismutase and Fenton chemistry; reaction of ferric-EDTA complex and ferric bipyridyl complex with hydrogen peroxide without the apparent formation of iron(II). Biochem J 269, 169-174.Google Scholar
- Kraiter DC, Zak O, Aisen P, et al. 1998 A determination of the reduction potentials for diferric and C-and N-lobe monoferric tansferrins at endosomal pH(5.8). Inorg Chem 37, 964.Google Scholar
- Luzzatto E, Cohen H, Stockheim C, et al. 1995 Reactions of low valent transition metal complexes with hydrogen peroxide. Are they Fenton-like or not? The case of Fe (II)L, L = EDTA, HEDTA and TCMA. Free Rad Res 23, 453-463.Google Scholar
- Meunier B. 1992 Metalloporphyrins as versatile catalysts for oxidation reactions and oxidative DNA cleavage. Chem Rev 92, 1411-1456.Google Scholar
- Nivière V, Fontecave M. 1995 Biological source of reduced oxygen species. In: Favier AE, Cadet J, Kalyanaraman B et al. eds. Analysis of Free Radicals in Biological Systems. Basel, Boston, Berlin: Birkhäuser; 11-19.Google Scholar
- Pierre JL. 1995 Chemistry of dioxygen and its activated species. In: Favier AE, Cadet J, Kalyanaraman B, et al. eds. Analysis of Free Radicals in Biological Systems. Basel, Boston, Berlin: Birkhäuser; 1-10.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki I, Piette LH. 1990 ESR spin-trapping studies on the reaction of Fe2+ions with H2O2-reactive species in oxygen toxicity in biology. J Biol Chem 265, 13589-13594.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki I, Piette LH. 1991 ESR spin-trapping studies on the oxidizing species formed in the reaction of the ferrous ion with hydrogen peroxide. J Am Chem Soc 113, 7588-7593.Google Scholar