Inverse relationship between carotenoid and lipid formation in Rhodotorula gracilis according to the C/N ratio of the growth medium
- 437 Downloads
Production of carotenoid by Rhodotorula gracilis was highest at 26 mg/g dry weight with a carbon/nitrogen (C/N) ratio in the medium of 10:1. This was 15 times higher than when the C/N ratio was 160:1. With this high C/N ratio, the yeast produced up to 55% lipid compared only 20% lipid with the low C/N ratio. Both carotenoid and lipid production were non-growth associated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Costa, I., Martelli, H.L., Da Silva, I.M. & Pomeroy, D. 1987 Production of β-carotene by a Rhodotorula strain. Biotechnology Letters 9, 373-375.Google Scholar
- Frengova, G., Simova, E., Pavlova, K., Beshkova, D. & Grigorova, D. 1994 Formation of carotenoids by Rhodotorula glutinis in whey ultrafiltrate. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 44, 888-894.Google Scholar
- Jacob, Z. 1991 Enrichment of wheat bran by Rhodotorula gracilis through solid state fermentation. Folia Microbiologica 36, 86-91.Google Scholar
- Matelli, H.L., Da Silva, I.M., Souza, N.O. & Pomeroy, E.D. 1990 Production of β-carotene by Rhodotorula strain grown on sugar cane juice. Biotechnology Letters 12, 207-208.Google Scholar
- Miller, G.L. 1959 Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Analytical Chemistry 31, 426.Google Scholar
- Ratledge, C. 1982 Microbial oils and fats: an assessment of their commercial potential. Progress in Industrial Microbiology 16, 119-206.Google Scholar
- Sattur, A.P. & Karanth, N.G. 1989 Production of microbial lipids I-Development of a mathematical model. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 34, 863-867.Google Scholar
- Shashi, K., Bachhawat, A.K. & Joseph, R. 1990 ATP:citrate lyase of Rhodotorula gracilis: purification and properties. Biochemica et Biophysica Acta 1033, 23-30.Google Scholar
- Simpson, K.L., Nakayama, T.O.M. & Chichester, C.O. 1964 Biosynthesis of yeast carotenoids. Journal of Bacteriology 88, 1688-1694.Google Scholar
- Somashekar, D. & Joseph, R. 1999 A process for the production of a growth medium formulation for enhanced production of carotenoids. PATENT India, No: 1285/99.Google Scholar
- Venkateswaran, G., Shashi, K. & Joseph, R. 1992 Influence of nitrogen status and mutation on the fatty acid profile of Rhodotorula gracilis. Current Science 62, 580-582.Google Scholar