A strain-independent feeding strategy for fed-batch cultures of Escherichia coli is presented. By superimposing short pulses in the glucose feed rate, on-line detection of acetate formation can be made using a standard dissolved oxygen sensor. A simple feedback algorithm is then used to adjust the feed rate to avoid acetate formation. The feasibility of the strategy is demonstrated by both simulation and experiments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Åkesson M, Nordberg Karlsson E, Hagander P, Axelsson JP, Tocaj A (1999) On-line detection of acetate formation in Escherichia coli cultures using dissolved oxygen responses to feed transients. Biotechnol. Bioeng., in press.Google Scholar
- Andersen K, von Meyenburg K (1980) Are growth rates of Escherichia coli in batch cultures limited by respiration? J. Bacteriol 144: 114-123.Google Scholar
- Bauer K, Ben-Bassat A, Dawson M, de la Puente V, Neway J (1990) Improved expression of human interleukin-2 in high-cell-density fermentor cultures of Escherichia coli K-12 by a phosphotransacetylase mutant. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 56: 1296-1302.Google Scholar
- Bech Jensen E, Carlsen S (1990) Production of recombinant human growth hormone in Escherichia coli: expression of different precursors and physiological effects of glucose, acetate and salts. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 36: 1-11.Google Scholar
- Lee SY (1996) High cell-density culture of Escherichia coli. TIBTECH 14: 98-105.Google Scholar
- Luli GW, Strohl WR (1990) Comparison of growth, acetate production, and acetate inhibition of Escherichia coli strains in batch and fed-batch fermentations. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 56: 1004-1011.Google Scholar
- Qiu J, Swartz JR, Georgiou G (1998) Expression of active human tissue-type plasminogen activator in Escherichia coli. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64: 4891-4896.Google Scholar
- Reiling HE, Laurila H, Fiechter A (1985) Mass culture of Escherichia coli: medium development for low and high density cultivation of Escherichia coli B/r in minimal and complex media. J. Biotechnol. 2: 191-206.Google Scholar
- Xu B, Jahic M, Enfors S-O (1999) Modeling of overflow metabolism in batch and fed-batch cultures of Escherichia coli. Biotechnol. Prog. 15: 81-90.Google Scholar