A high-density differential screening strategy for identification of fovea genes with altered expression in the retina during aging
A human fovea cDNA library was arrayed at high-density and reacted with age-specific (4 yr & 80 yr) retinal probes to identify genes with altered expression during aging. Using this approach, we screened 55,368 genes by Southern analysis and determined that ∼0.7% are differentially expressed in young and old tissues. Northern analysis of total RNA from retina of humans aged 2–94 yr show that expression of one of the clones identified (clone dd112) decreases with aging.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen RG (1998) Oxidative stress and superoxide dismutase in development, aging and gene regulation. Age 21: 47-76.Google Scholar
- Bernstein SL, Borst DE, Wong P (1995) Isolation of differentially expressed human fovea genes: candidates for macular disease. Mol. Vis. 1: 95005.Google Scholar
- Bernstein SL, Borst DE, Neuder ME, Wong P (1996) Characterization of a human fovea cDNA library and regional differential gene expression in the human retina. Genomics 32: 301-308.Google Scholar
- Bernstein SL, Wong P (1998) Regional expression of disease-related genes in human and monkey retina. Mol. Vis. 4: 24.Google Scholar
- Berson EL (1994) Retinitis pigmentosa and allied diseases. In: Albert DM, Jakobiec FA, eds. Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology, Vol. 2. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, pp. 1214-1237.Google Scholar
- Delcourt C, Cristol J-P, Leger CL, Discompose B, Papoz L (1999) Associations of antioxidant enzymes with cataract and age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 106: 215-222.Google Scholar
- Hendrickson AE (1994) Primate foveal development: a microcosm of current questions in neurobiology. Invest. Ophthalmol. Visual Sci. 35: 3129-3133.Google Scholar
- Holbrook NJ, Undelsman R (1994) Heat Shock protein gene expression in response to physiologic stress and aging. In: Morimoto RI, Tissieres A, Georgopoulos C, eds. The Biology of Heat Shock Proteins and Molecular Chaperones. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, pp. 577-593.Google Scholar
- Iacopino AM, Christakos S (1990) Specific reduction of calcium-binding protein (28-kilodalton calbindin-D) gene expression in aging and neurodegenerative diseases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87: 4078-4082.Google Scholar
- Kanungo MS (1994) Changes in gene expression during aging. In: Genes and Aging. Cambridge University Press, pp. 167-245.Google Scholar
- Macdonald HR, Schatz H, Johnson RN, Madeira, D (1990) Acquired macular degeneration. In: Tasman W, ed. Duanes Textbook of Ophthalmology. Vol. 3. Philadelphia: Lippencourt Press.Google Scholar
- Taylor A (1999) Nutritional and environmental influences on risk for cataract. In: Taylor A. ed. Nutritional and Environmental Influences on the Eye. Boca Raton: CRC Press, pp. 53-93.Google Scholar
- West KS (1999) Smoking and the risk of eye diseases. In: Taylor A. ed. Nutritional and Environmental Influences on the Eye. Boca Raton: CRC Press, pp. 151-164.Google Scholar