Isolation of Pseudomonas corrugata from Sikkim Himalaya
- 200 Downloads
Two isolates of Pseudomonas corrugata, P. corrugata 1, a rhizosphere associate, and P. corrugata 7, a rhizoplane associate have been isolated and characterized from maize soils; these isolates are from the subtropical and temperate regions, respectively in Sikkim Himalaya. The two isolates have been found to be positive for: (i) production of antifungal compounds; (ii) phosphate-solubilizing activity; (iii) nitrogenase activity; and (iv) growth at 4°C under laboratory conditions. These bacteria produce a non-fluorescent yellow pigment, particularly at lower temperature. Both of the isolates seem to be well adapted to temperate conditions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hebbar, K.P. Davey, A.G. Merrin, J. Mclonghlin, T.J. & Dart, P.J. 1992 Pseudomonas cepacia, a potential suppressor of maize soil-borne diseases-seed inoculation and maize root colonization. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 24, 999–1007.Google Scholar
- Homma, Y. Stao, Z. Hirayama, F. Konno, K. Shirahama, H. & Suzuki, T. 1989 Production of antibiotics by Pseudomonas cepacia as an agent for biological control of soil-borne plant pathogens. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21, 723–728.Google Scholar
- Howell, C.R. & Stipanovic, R.D. 1980 Suppression of Pythium ultimum-induced damping off of cotton seedlings by Pseudomonas fluorescens and its antibiotic, pyoluteorin. Phytopathology 70, 712–715.Google Scholar
- Illmer, P. & Schinner, F. 1992 Solubilisation of inorganic phosphates by microorganisms isolated from forest soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 24, 389–395.Google Scholar
- Kloepper, J.W. Schroth, M.N. & Miller, T.D. 1980 Effects of rhizosphere colonization by plant growth promoting rhizobacteria on potato plant development and yield. Phytopathology 70, 1078–1082.Google Scholar
- Pandey, A. Durgapal, A. Sharma, E. & Palni, L.M.S. 1997 Isolation and use of growth promoting Rhizobacteria for improved plant performance in the hills. Proceedings of the National Symposium on Frontiers in Applied Environmental Microbiolgy, SES, CUSAT, Cochin (In Press).Google Scholar
- Pandey, A. Sharma, E. & Palni, L.M.S. 1998 Influence of bacterial inoculation on maize in upland farming systems of the Sikkim Himalaya. Soil Biology and Biochemistry (In press).Google Scholar
- Ryder, M.H. & Rovira, A.D. 1993 Biological control of take-all of glasshouse-grown wheat using strains of Pseudomonas corrugate isolated from wheat field soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 25, 311–320.Google Scholar
- Weller, D.M. & Cook, R.J. 1983 Suppression of take-all of wheat by seed treatments with fluorescent pseudomonads. Phytopathology 73, 463–469.Google Scholar