Fabrication of Erbium-Doped Channel Waveguides by a Combination of Ion Exchange and Sol-Gel Techniques
- 46 Downloads
Erbium-doped germano-silicate thin films of good optical quality were produced by the sol-gel technique. High refractive index changes of up to 0.018 were obtained by sodium-silver ion exchange. Monomode optical waveguides with Gaussian mode profile were fabricated by this technique. It is shown that, if the ion exchange process parameters are well chosen, the influence of the waveguide fabrication on the active properties of the material is negligible.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.C. Righini, M. Forastiere, M. Guglielmi, and A. Martucci, Proc. SPIE 3280, 57 (1998).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Pelli, G.C. Righini, A. Verciani, M. Guglielmi, A. Martucci, and A. Scaglione, Proc. SPIE 2213, 58 (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.E.M. Yeatman, K. Pita, M.M. Ahmad, A. Vannucci, and A. Fiorello, J. Sol-Gel Science and Tech. 13, 517 (1998).Google Scholar
- 4.R.R.A. Syms, V.M. Schneider, W. Huang, and M.M. Ahmad, Electron. Lett. 33, 1216 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Coudry, J. Chisham, M.P. Andrews, and S.I. Najafi, Opt. Eng. 36, 1234 (1997).Google Scholar
- 6.C.Y. Li, Y.H. Kao, K. Hayashi, T. Takada, J.D. Mackenzie, K.I. Kang, S.G. Lee, N. Peygambarian, M. Yamane, G. Zhang, and S.I. Najafi, Proc. SPIE 2288, 151 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Barbier, M. Rattay, F. Saint-André, G. Clauss, M. Trouillon, A. Kervorkian, J.M.P. Delavaux, and E. Murphy, Phot. Tech. Lett. 9, 315 (1997).Google Scholar
- 8.G. Brusatin, M. Guglielmi, and A. Martucci, J. Am. Cer. Soc. 80, 12 (1997).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Strohhöfer, S. Capecchi, J. Fick, A. Martucci, G. Brusatin, and M. Guglielmi, Thin Solid Films 326, 99 (1998).Google Scholar
- 10._ S. Pelli and C. Righini, in Advanced in Integrated Optics, (Plenum Press, London 1994), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 11._ T. Luo, S. Jiang, G. Nunzi Conti, S. Honkanen, S.B. Mendes, and N. Peyghambarian, Electron. Lett. 34, 2239 (1998).Google Scholar