Preparation, Microstructure and Photocatalytic Activity of the Porous TiO2 Anatase Coating by Sol-Gel Processing
- 1.7k Downloads
In this study the porous TiO2 anatase coatings are prepared from alkoxide solutions containing polyethylene glycol (PEG) by a dip-coating technique. The effects of PEG addition to the precursor solution on the photocatalytic activity and microstructure of the resultant coatings are studied. The larger amount and the larger molecular weight of PEG, the larger size and more pores produced in the resultant coatings on the decomposition of PEG during heat-treatment. The adsorbed hydroxyl content of such porous coatings is found to increase due to the larger size and more pores in the coatings. However, the transmittance of the coatings decreases due to the scattering by the larger size and more pores. Photocatalytic degradation experiments show that organophosphorous insecticide, dimethyl-2,2-dichlorovinyl phosphate (DDVP), was efficiently degraded in the presence of the porous TiO2 coatings by exposing the DDVP solution to sunlight. Photocatalytic degradation rate was related to the adsorbed hydroxyl content, transmittance and morphology of the resultant coatings.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.R. Hoffmann, S.T. Martin, W. Choi, and D.W. Bahnemann, Chem. Rev. 95, 69 (1995).Google Scholar
- 2.R.W. Mattews, J Phys. Chem. 91, 3328 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Kato, A. Tsuzuki, Y. Torii, H. Taoda, T. Kato, and Y. Butsugan, J. Mater. Sci. 30, 837 (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Takahashi, K. Mita, H. Toyoki, and M. Kume, J. Mater. Sci. 24, 243 (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Kato, A. Tsuzuki, H. Taoda, Y. Torii, T. Kato, and Y. Butsugan, J. Mater. Sci. 29, 5911 (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.B. Samuneva, V. Kozhukharov, Ch. Trapalis, and R. Kranold, J. Mater. Sci. 28, 2353 (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.K. Harada, T. Hisanaga, and K. Tanaka, Wat. Res. 24, 1415 (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.D.F. Ollis, E. Pelizzetti, and N. Serpone, Environ. Sci. Technol. 25, 1523 (1991).Google Scholar
- 9.J.G. Yu, G.L. Tang, and J.A. Zhu, J. Wuhan Univ. Tech. Mater. Sci. Edi. 1, 58 (1993).Google Scholar
- 10.J.G. Yu, L.M. Zhang, Ch.Q. Pen, and X.J. Zhao, Acta Mineralogica Sinica 4, 380 (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Wagner and G. Muilnberg, Handbook of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (Physical Electronics Division, Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Eden Prairie, MN, 1979).Google Scholar