Comparative cost-analysis of two different chronic care facilities for end-stage renal disease patients
- 30 Downloads
Objective: To investigate the cost and quality of life associated with the first specialized chronic care facility for disabled dialysis patients. Design: A case controlled study in dialysis patients admitted to a specialized chronic dialysis unit (RCDU). Setting: The study compares the cost of care in a specialized chronic care facility with that of a tertiary hospital. Patients: All dialysis patients with severe chronic disability, resident in Greater Toronto, who were unable to be discharged into the community and who were admitted to the RCDU in the first year of the program. Interventions: Chronic care and rehabilitation services in a specialized dialysis unit. Outcome measures: Costs are expressed as $Cdn per patient year. Quality of life scores were measured using SIP and SF-36 questionnaires. Results: The data show a saving of $37 022 Cdn over the 618 day study period with care in the RCDU compared with that of a tertiary hospital. Quality of life measures show no difference in scores. Conclusions: We conclude that this preliminary report confirms a cost benefit of a specialized chronic care dialysis unit.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Canadian Society of Nephrology Annual Debate. Controversies in Nephrology: Transplantation in the Elderly. New Orleans, November 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.Brunner FP, Selwood NH. Profile of patients on RRT in Europe and death rates due to major causes of death groups. The EDTA Registration Committee. Kidney Int-Supplement 1992; 38: S4-15.Google Scholar
- 10.MTDHC Hospital Restructuring Project. Nephrological services taskforce workbook. Metropolitan Toronto District Health Council, Ontario. Ministry of Health. September 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.Roscoe JM. Haemodialysis in a chronic care facility, in Oreopoulos DG, Michelis MF, Herscorn S. (eds): Nephrology and Urology in the Aged Patient. Dordrecht, Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993; 219-224.Google Scholar
- 12.Jassal SV, Brissenden JE, Roscoe JM. Specialized Chronic Care for Dialysis Patients-a Five Year Study. Clin Nephrol 1998 (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.. Ontario Ministry of Health. Schedule of Benefits. Physician Services under the Health Insurance Act Toronto, Ministry of Health, 1991.Google Scholar
- 14.Ware JE, Snow KK, Kosinski M et al. SF-36 Health Survey: Manual and Interpretation Guide. Boston Mass, The Health Institute, 1993.Google Scholar
- 16.Drummond MF, Stoddart GL, Torrance GW. Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes. Oxford, Oxford Medical Publications, 1992.Google Scholar
- 17.Hull AR, Hirsh J, Sackett DL, Stoddart GL. Cost-effectiveness of primary and secondary prevention of pulmonary embolism in high-risk surgical patients. CMAJ 1982; 127: 990-995.Google Scholar