Embedding a Geographic Information System in a Decision Support System for Landslide Hazard Monitoring
- 156 Downloads
In this paper we present an application that exploitsa geographic information system as a front-end of acomplex information system supporting the managementof landslide hazard in Valtellina, an alpine valley inNorthern Italy.
A decision support system (EYDENET, operational sinceOctober 1996), incorporating a geographic informationsystem and a data interpreter based on artificialintelligence techniques, processes the readings of the250 most significant instruments of a monitoring netof about 1000 sensors installed on differentlandslides in several alpine valleys.
Data gathered by extensometers, clinometers andpluviometers, to check both movements of rocks andclimatic conditions which could affect them, areprocessed by EYDENET, that provides on-lineinterpretation of data, helps the users analyse them,and generates natural language explanations and alarmmessages for the people responsible for theenvironmental management and the civil protection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anesa, F., Bonzi, A., Laquintana, D., Pilenga, A. and Vavassori, M.: 1989, Valtellina alert system: towards an environmental risk diagnosis expert system, IABSE Colloquium on Expert Systems in Civil Engineering, Bergamo, Italy, pp. 347–354.Google Scholar
- Azzoni, A., Chiesa, S., Frassoni, A. and Govi, M.: 1992, The Valpola landslide, Eng. Geol. 33, 59–70.Google Scholar
- Gusmini, M., Spinelli, A. and Valensise, G.: 1996, A catalogue of seismogenic Italian faults using a geographical information system, Workshop on Geographical Information Systems and Major Hazards, Walferdange, Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- Salvaneschi, P., Cadei, M. and Lazzari, M.: 1996a, The application of AI to structural safety monitoring and evaluation, IEEE Expert 11(4), 24–34.Google Scholar
- Salvaneschi, P., Mucciarelli, M., Spinelli, A., Console, R., Valensise, G. and Stavrakakis, G.: 1996b, Time-dependent hazard estimate based on a multi-parameter geophysical observatory, Proc. XXV General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission, Reykjavik, Iceland, pp. 333–338.Google Scholar