Regional Flood Frequency Analysis of Mahi-Sabarmati Basin (Subzone 3-a) using Index Flood Procedure with L-Moments
- 337 Downloads
With the objective of investigating the hydrological homogeneity of India's hydrometeorological subzone 3-a and identification of a suitable frequency distribution for it, a regional flood frequency analysis has been carried out using the index flood procedure and the L-moments. Based on analysis of flood data at 12 gauged sites, the Mahi-Sabarmati basin is shown to be hydrologically homogeneous and follows the generalized normal distribution. Regional curve developed based on the analysis has been recommended for carrying out flood frequency analysis at both gauged and ungauged sites in this region.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cunnane, C.: 1978, Unbiased plotting positions: A review, J. Hydrol. 37(3/4), 269-290.Google Scholar
- Cunnane, C.: 1988, Methods and merits of regional flood frequency analysis, J. Hydrol. 100, 269-290.Google Scholar
- Dalrymple, T.: 1960, Flood frequency methods, U.S. Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 1543A, 11-51.Google Scholar
- Greenwood, J. A., Landwehr, J. M., Matalas, N. C. and Walls, J. R.: 1979, Probability weighted moments: Definition and relation to parameters of several distributions expressible in inverse form, Water Resour. Res. 15(5), 1055-1064.Google Scholar
- Gupta, P. N.: 1987, Regional flood frequency approach estimation of flood peaks for Mahi and Sabarmati river basin (subzone 3-a). National Symposium on Hydrology, Dec. 16-18, NIH, Roorkee, Vol. I, I/16–I/26.Google Scholar
- Hosking, J. R. M.: 1986, The theory of probability weighted moments. IBM Research Report, RC12210.Google Scholar
- Hosking, J.R. M.: 1990, L-moments: Analysis and estimation of distribution using linear combination of order statistics, J.R. Statist. Soc. B. 52(1), 105-124.Google Scholar
- Hosking, J. R. M.: 1994, The four-parameter kappa distribution, IBM J. Res. Develop. 38(3), 251-258.Google Scholar
- Hosking, J. R.M. and Wallis, J. R.: 1993, Some statistics useful in regional frequency analysis, Water Resour. Res. 29(2), 271-281.Google Scholar
- RDSO: 1993, Handbook for estimation of design discharge for railway bridges, Technical Monograph No. 50, Research Designs and Standards Organization, Lucknow, India, pp. 1-52.Google Scholar
- Wallis, J. R.: 1980, Risk and uncertainties in evaluation of flood events for design of hydraulic structures, Sem. on Extreme Hydrologic Events, Foundazione Politecnica del Mediterraneo Erice, Italy, pp. 1-33.Google Scholar