Great School Milk Conspiracies Revisited
- 117 Downloads
This paper revisits a particular case involvingtwo dairy processing companies accused ofrigging bids in northern Kentucky schooldistricts during the 1980s. Evidence andarguments presented to support a conclusion ofovert collusion are reassessed. Analyses ofincumbency rates, market shares, bid levels, biddispersions, bid distance relationships, exactbidding differentials, and “bids from hell”indicate that the two dairies may have beenengaged in tacit collusion instead of overt collusion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blair, Roger D., and Richard E. Romano (1990) ‘Distinguishing Participants from Nonparticipants in a Price-Fixing Conspiracy: Liabilities and Damages’, American Business Law Journal, 28, 33–57.Google Scholar
- Blair, Roger D., and Richard E. Romano (1997) ‘Identifying Participants in a Price-Fixing Conspiracy: Output and Market Share Tests Reexamined – Reply’, Review of Industrial Organization, 12, 291–294.Google Scholar
- Funderburk, Dale R. (1974) ‘Price Fixing in the Liquid-Asphalt Industry: Economic Analysis versus the "Hot Document"’, Antitrust Law and Economics Review, 7, 61–74.Google Scholar
- Karaaslan, Mehmet E. (1997) ‘Identifying Participants in a Price-Fixing Conspiracy: Output and Market Share Tests Reexamined’, Review of Industrial Organization, 12, 279–290.Google Scholar
- Lanzillotti, Robert F. (1996) ‘The Great Milk Conspiracies of the 1980s’, Review of Industrial Organization, 11, 413–458.Google Scholar
- Pesendorfer, Martin (1996) ‘A Study of Collusion in First Price Auctions’, Mimeo, Yale University.Google Scholar
- Porter, Robert H., and J. Douglas Zona (1993) ‘Detection of Bid-Rigging in Procurement Auctions’, Journal of Political Economy, 101, 518–538.Google Scholar
- Porter, Robert H., and J. Douglas Zona (1999) ‘Ohio School Milk Markets: An Analysis of Bidding’, RAND Journal of Economics, 30, 263–288.Google Scholar
- Scherer, F. M., and David Ross (1990) Industrial Market Structure and Economic Performance. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.Google Scholar
- Schmalensee, Richard (1989) ‘Inter-Industry Studies of Structure and Performance’, in Richard Schmalensee and Robert D. Willig, eds., Handbook of Industrial Organization. Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar