Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services in Ten State Medicaid Programs
- 57 Downloads
Program data for 1993 on Medicaid mental health and substance abuse (MH/SA) services and expenditures were developed from Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) research files for 10 states. These data show that MH/SA service users are 7 to 13% of Medicaid enrollees. The percentage of Medicaid enrollees accounted for by MH/SA users increases with age, reaching a fifth of the 45–64 age group. Across the 10 states, MH/SA spending represents 11% of total Medicaid expenditures. When their expenditures for non-MH/SA services are also considered, MH/SA users account for 28% of total Medicaid expenditures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buck, J.A., Miller, K., & Bae, J. (2000). Mental health and substance abuse services in Medicaid, 1993 (DHHS Publication No. SMA 99–3368). Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.Google Scholar
- Harwood, H.J., Fountain, D., & Livermore, G. (1998). The economic costs of alcohol and drug use in the United States (NIDA & NIAAA report). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.Google Scholar
- Larson, M.J., Farrelly, M.C., Hodgkin, D., Miller, K., Lubalin, J.S., Witt, E., McQuay, L., Simpson, J., Pepitone, A., Keme, A., & Manderscheid, R.W. (1998). Payments and use of services for mental health, alcohol, and other drug abuse disorders: Estimates from Medicare, Medicaid, and private health plans. In R. Manderscheid & M. Henderson (Eds.), Mental health, United States, 1998 (DHHS Publication No. SMA 99–3285), pp. 124–141. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- McKusick, D., Mark, T., King, E., Harwood, R., Buck, J.A., Dilonardo, J., & Genuardi, J.S. (1998). Spending for mental health and substance abuse treatment, 1996. Health Affairs, 17(3), 147–157.Google Scholar
- Wright, G., Smolkin, S., & Bencio, D. (1995). Medicaid mental health and substance abuse 1992 use and expenditure estimates for Michigan and California: Final report (Reference No. 8231). Washington DC: Mathematica Policy Research.Google Scholar