Evaluating Real Estate Valuation Systems
A framework for comparing real estate valuation systems (including automated valuation models (AVMs) and current appraisal methods) is proposed. The density estimation and profit simulation (DEPS) method measures quality of a valuation system by simulating benefits to the mortgage lender who uses this method in mortgage underwriting to limit mortgage portfolio losses due to default. Related simple measures relevant to the selection of a valuation system are also discussed: skewness of the distribution of errors, correlation of valuation errors with current selling price errors, correlation of errors of the valuation system with errors of valuation systems used by competing mortgage lenders, and other measures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Case, Karl E., and Robert J. Shiller. (1989).“The Efficiency of the Market for Single Family Homes” American Economic Review 79 (March), 125–137.Google Scholar
- Cole, Rebel, David Guilkey, and Mike Miles. (1986).“Toward an Assessment of the Reliability of Commercial Appraisals” Appraisal Journal 54 (July), 422–432.Google Scholar
- Cole, Rebel, David Guilkey, and Mike Miles. (1987).“Pension Fund Investment Managers' Unit Values Deserve Confidence” Real Estate Review 17 (Spring), 84–89.Google Scholar
- Isakson, Hans R. (1986).“The Nearest Neighbors Appraisal Technique: An Alternative to the Adjustment Grid Method” Journal of the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association 14 (Summer), 274–286.Google Scholar
- Ito, Takatoshi, and Keiko Nosse Hirono. (1993).“Efficiency of the Tokyo Housing Market” Bank of Japan Monetary and Economic Studies 11, 1–32.Google Scholar
- Lovell, Douglas D. (1992).“Improving your Appraisals by Avoiding Forecast Errors” Appraisal Journal 60 (July), 424–426.Google Scholar
- Marchitelli, Richard. (1992).“Rethinking the Cost Approach” Appraisal Journal 60 (July), 424–426Google Scholar
- Poterba, James. (1991).“House Price Dynamics: The Role of Tax Policy and Demography” Brookings Papers on Economic Activity (1991), 143–99.Google Scholar
- Révész, P. (1984).“Density Estimation.'' In P. R. Krishniah and P. K. Sen (eds.), Handbook of Statistics. Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Shlaes, Jared. (1992).“Real-Time Appraising: Bringing Value up to Date” Appraisal Journal 60 (July), 419–424.Google Scholar
- Silverman, B. W. (1986). Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis. London: Chapman and Hall.Google Scholar
- Tapia, R. A., and J. R. Thompson. (1978). Nonparametric Density Estimation. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Webb, R. Brian. (1994).“On the Reliability of Commercial Appraisals: Analysis of Properties Sold from the Russell-NCREIF Index (1978–1992)” Real Estate Finance 11 (Spring), 62–65.Google Scholar