On the Material Symmetry of Elastic Rods
- 81 Downloads
This paper presents a treatment of material symmetry for hyperelastic rods. The rod theory of interest is based on a Cosserat (or directed) curve with two director fields, and was developed in a series of works by Green, Naghdi and several of their co-workers. The treatment is based on Murdoch and Cohen's work on material symmetry of Cosserat surfaces. Two material symmetry groups are discussed: one pertains to the strain-energy function, while the other pertains to the response functions. The paper closes by showing how the treatment relates to the form-invariant approach used in Green and Naghdi's papers and a treatment proposed recently by Cohen.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 16.M.E. Gurtin, The linear theory of elasticity. In: S. Flügge and C.A. Truesdell (eds), Handbuch der Physik, Vol. VIa/2. Springer, New York (1972) pp. 1–295.Google Scholar
- 24.P.M. Naghdi, The theory of shells and plates. In: S. Flügge and C.A. Truesdell (eds), Handbuch der Physik, Vol. VIa/2, Springer, New York (1972) pp. 425–640.Google Scholar
- 25.P.M. Naghdi, Finite deformation of elastic rods and shells. In: D.E. Carlson and R.T. Shield (eds), Proc. of the IUTAM Symposium on Finite Elasticity, Bethlehem PA 1980. Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague (1982) pp. 47–104.Google Scholar
- 39.C. Truesdell and W. Noll, The Non-Linear Field Theories of Mechanics, 2nd edn. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 41.Q.-S. Zheng and A.J.M. Spencer, On the canonical representations for Kronecker powers of orthogonal tensors with application to material symmetry. Internat. J. Engrg. Sci. 31 (1993) 619–635.Google Scholar