High Throughput BAC DNA Isolation for Physical Map Construction of Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor)
- 82 Downloads
With the aim of constructing a physical map of sorghum, we developed a rapid, high throughput approach for isolating BAC DNA suitable for restriction endonuclease digestion fingerprinting, PCR- based STS-content mapping, and BAC-end sequencing. The system utilizes a programmable 96 channel liquid handling system and associated accessories that permit bacterial cultivation and DNA isolation in 96-well plate format. This protocol details culture conditions that optimize bacterial growth in deep-well plates and criteria for BAC DNA isolation to obtain high yields of quality BAC DNA. The system is robust, accurate, and relatively cost-effective. The BAC DNA isolation system has been tested during efforts to construct a physical map of sorghum.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balding DJ (1994) Design and analysis of chromosome physical mapping experiments. Phil Trans R So London B 344: 329–335.Google Scholar
- Boysen C, Simon MI and Hood L (1997) Analysis of the 1.1-Mb human α/δ T-cell receptor locus with bacterial artificial chromosome clones. Genome Res 7: 330–338.Google Scholar
- Evans GA, Lewis KA (1989) Physical mapping of complex genomes by cosmid multiplex analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 5030–5034.Google Scholar
- Fajas L, Staels B and Auwerx J (1997) Cycle sequencing on large DNA templates. Bio Techniques 23: 1034–1036.Google Scholar
- Green ED and Olson MV(1990) Systematic screening of yeast artificial-chromosome libraries by use of the polymerase chain reaction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 1213–1217.Google Scholar
- OlsonM, Hood L, Cantor C and Botstein D (1989) A common language for physical mapping of the human genome. Science 245: 1434–1435.Google Scholar
- Rosenblum BB, Lee LG, Spurgeon SL, Khan SH, Menchen SM, Heiner CR and Chen SM (1997) New dye-labeled terminators for improved DNA sequencing patterns. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 4500–4504.Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF and Maniatis T (1989) Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd edition, C. Nolan, ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, USA.Google Scholar
- Schmitt H, Kim U-J, Slepak T, Blin N, Simon MI and Shizuya H (1996) Framework for a physical map of the human 22q13 region using bacterial artificial chromosomes (BACs). Genomics 33: 9–20.Google Scholar
- Sulston J, Mallett F, Staden R, Durbin R, Horsnell T and Coulson A (1988) Software for genome mapping by fingerprinting techniques. Comput Applic Biosci 4: 125–132.Google Scholar
- Sulston J, Mallett F, Durbin R and Horsnell T (1989) Image analysis of restriction enzyme fingerprint autoradiograms. Comput Applic Biosci 5: 101–106.Google Scholar
- Quanzhou T, Qian Y, Zhao H, Yu S, Qui L, Wu B, Zhu J, Yu D, Liu X and Hong G (1995) Construction of Oryza sativa genome contigs by fingerprint strategy. Cell Res 5: 263–271.Google Scholar