The effect of the Fusarium metabolite beauvericin on electromechanical and -physiological properties in isolated smooth and heart muscle preparations of guinea pigs
- 72 Downloads
The electromechanical and -physiological effects of beauvericin were studied in isolated smooth and heart muscle preparations of the guinea pig. Beauvericin concentration-dependently decreased the force of contraction in precontracted (60 mM KCl) terminal ilea with an IC50 of 0.86 μM, and in electrically stimulated (1 Hz) papillary muscles with an IC50 of 18 μM. This negative inotropic effect in papillary muscles was antagonised in a non-competitive way by increased extracellular calcium concentrations. Spontaneous activity in right atria was affected at concentrations >10 μM beauvericin. The negative chronotropic effect was less pronounced than the negative inotropic effect. In action potentials of electrically driven (1 Hz) papillary muscles, 10 μM beauvericin significantly decreased membrane resting potential until unexcitability of the preparation occurred. Despite depolarisation of the membrane the maximum rate of rise of the action potential was not changed. The action potential duration was shortened, but the decrease was only significant at times to 20% and 50% repolarisation. These data, derived from the electrophysiological experiments, not only imply an effect on the calcium current as suggested by the effects on contractility, but also an interaction with the sodium inward and potassium outward currents.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vey A, Quiot J-M, Vago C. Mise en évidence et étude de l'action d'une mycotoxine, la beauvericine, sur des cellules d'insectes cultivées in vitro. CR Acad Sc Paris 1973; 276: 2489-2492.Google Scholar
- 2.Di Paola R, Nenna S, Fomelli F, Moretti A, Logrieco A, Caiaffa MF, Botallico A, Tursi A, Macchia L. Cytotoxicity of Beauvericin on human B-lymphocyte cell lines. Allergy and clinic Immun 1994; 2: 256 (Abstract).Google Scholar
- 4.Hamill RK, Higgens CE, Boaz HE, Gorman M. The structure of beauvericin: a new depsipeptide antibiotic toxic to Artemia salina. Tetrahed Lett 1969: 4255-4258.Google Scholar
- 8.Tomoda H, Huang XH, Cao J, Nishida H, Nagao R, Okuda S, Tanaka H, Omura S, Arai H, Inoue K. Inhibition of acyl-CoA: cholesterol acyltransferase activity by cyclodepsipeptide antibiotics 1992; 45: 1626-1632.Google Scholar
- 15.Dorschner E, Lardy H. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1968: 11-14.Google Scholar
- 18.Krska R, Schuhmacher R, Grasserbauer M, Lemmens M, Lemmens-Gruber R, Adler A, Lew H. Effects of beauvericin to mammalian tissue and its production by Austrian isolates of Fusarium proliferatum and Fusarium subglutinans. Mycotoxin Res 1997; 13: 11-16.Google Scholar
- 19.Reiter M. Die Wertbestimmung inotrop wirkender Arzneimittel am isolierten Papillarmuskel. Arzneim Forsch 1967; 17: 1249-1253.Google Scholar