Seminal Fructose Levels in Male Infertility: Relationship with Sperm Characteristics
- 259 Downloads
The relationship between seminal fructose concentration and sperm characteristics was investigated in semens of 187 suspected infertile men without evidence of disturbances in the seminal vesicular function. Sperm density, viability, motility, morphologically oval sperm, and 10 categories of defective spermatozoa (small, large, amorphous, round-head, double-head, pin-head, tapering, mid-piece defects, tail defects, and combined defects) were assessed in 6 levels of seminal fructose concentration, as follows: (1) 0 to 1.0 mg/ml; (2) 1.1 to 2.0 mg/ml; (3) 2.1 to 3.0 mg/ml; (4) 3.1 to 4.0 mg/ml; (5) 4.1 to 5.0 mg/ml; (6) >5.0 mg/ml. None of the sperm characteristics analyzed had shown statistically significant differences among the study groups. It is concluded that seminal fructose levels detected in the routine of semen analysis give no information on the clinical usefulness in defective sperm formation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Health Organization. WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Sperm—Cervical Mucus Interaction. Cambridge University 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.Mann, T.: The Biochemistry of Semen and of the Male Reproductive Tract. Methuen, London 1964.Google Scholar
- 10.Lewis-Jones, D. I., Aird, I. A., Biljan, M. M., Kingsland, C. R.: Effects of sperm activity on zinc and fructose concentrations in seminal plasma. Human Reprod., 11, 2465 (1996).Google Scholar
- 12.David, G., Bisson, J. P., Czyglik, F., Jouannet, P., Gernigon, C.: Anomalies morphologiques du spermatozoïde humain. I. Propositions pour un système de classification. J. Gyn. Obst. Biol. Repr., 4(Suppl. 1), 17 (1975).Google Scholar
- 13.Roe, J. H.: A colorimetric method for the determination of fructose in blood and urine. J. Biol. Chem., 107, 15 (1934)Google Scholar
- 14.Andrade-Rocha, F. T.: Basic routine for semen analysis: Results found in 30 normal examinations. Rev. Bras. Anál. Clin., 26, 22 (1994).Google Scholar
- 15.Andrade-Rocha, F. T.: Fructose in the semen and its relation with the sperm count. Reprodução, 8, 61 (1993).Google Scholar