The Influence of Leaf "Windows" on Crassulacean Acid Metabolism in the South African Succulent Senecio Rowleyanus (Asteraceae)
- 117 Downloads
Net CO2 exchange rate (PN) of shoots and diel fluctuations in titratable acidity of leaves of Senecio rowleyanus were measured to determine whether penetration of radiant energy through leaf “windows” (narrow, translucent strips on the leaf epidermis) resulted in increased CAM. Nocturnal PN and nighttime increases in acidity were compared among plants with windows covered with reflective adhesive tape, transparent adhesive tape (to control for potential effects of the adhesive), and no tape. The windows did not significantly enhance the degree of CAM in S. rowleyanus.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eller, B.M., Grobbelaar, N.: Diurnal temperature variation in and around a Lithops lesliei plant growing in its natural habitat on a clear day.-South afr. J. Bot. 52: 403-407, 1986.Google Scholar
- Fitter, A.H., Hay, R.K.M.: Environmental Physiology of Plants.-Academic Press, London 1981.Google Scholar
- Krulik, G.A.: Light transmission in window-leaved plants.-Can. J. Bot. 58: 1591-1600, 1980.Google Scholar
- Moore, R., Clark, W.D., Vodopick, D.S.: Botany.-WCB/McGraw-Hill, 1998.Google Scholar
- Moore, R., Langenkamp, M.: Tissue partitioning during leaf development in ornamentally-grown Frithia pulchra (Mesembryanthemaceae), a 'Window Plant'.-Ann. Bot. 67: 279-283, 1991.Google Scholar
- Rauh, W., Barthlott, W.: Two new species of succulent Peperomias from South America.-Cactus Succul. J. 47: 198-208, 1975.Google Scholar
- Rauh, W., Hutchinson, P.: Peperomia columella, a new succulent, dwarf species from Northern Peru.-Cactus Succul. J. 45: 152-156, 1973.Google Scholar
- Šesták, Z., Čatský, J., Jarvis, P.G. (ed.): Plant Photosynthetic Production: Manual of Methods.-Dr W. Junk Publ., The Hague 1971.Google Scholar
- Simon, J.L.: Resampling: The New Statistics.-Resampling Stats, Arlington 1992.Google Scholar
- Szarek, S.R.: The occurrence of Crassulacean acid metabolism: A supplementary list during 1976 to 1979.-Photosynthetica 13: 467-473, 1979.Google Scholar
- Szarek, S.R., Ting, I.P.: The occurrence of Crassulacean acid metabolism among plants.-Photosynthetica 11: 330-342, 1977.Google Scholar