Isolation of Cryptococcus neoformans from pigeon (Columba livia) droppings in northern Iran
- 154 Downloads
Nine hundred and eighty three specimens of pigeon droppings, collected in different regions of northern Iran, were examind. Of these samples, 175 (17.8%) were positive for Cryptococcus neoformans. All isolates obtained were C. neoformans var. neoformans. Most of these isolates of C. neoformans were from pigeon shelters. There were significant differences in isolation frequency between pigeon shelters and the other collection sites.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rippon JW. Medical mycology: The pathogenic fungi and the pathogenic adtinomycetes, 3rd edn. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders 1988; 582–605.Google Scholar
- 2.Kown-Chung KJ, Bennett JE. Epidemiologic differences between the two varieties of Cryptococcus neoformans. Amer J Epid 1984; 120: 123–130.Google Scholar
- 4.Swinne Desgain D. Cryptococcus neoformans of saprophytic origin. Sabouraudia 1975; 13: 303–308.Google Scholar
- 7.Pfeiffer TJ, Ellis DH. Environmental isolation of Cryptococcus neoformans var. gattii from Eucalyptus tereticornis. J MedVet Mycol 1992; 30: 407–408.Google Scholar
- 8.Staib F, Seeliger HPR. Un nouveau milieu selective pour l'isolement de Cryptococcus neoformans des matieres fecales et du sol. Ann Institut Pasteur 1996; 110: 792–793.Google Scholar
- 10.Pal M, Khan ZV, Randhawa HS. Observation on niger seed creatinine agar as selective medium for Cryptococcus neoformans. Ind J Microbiol 1978; 19: 19–22.Google Scholar
- 12.Gugnani HC, Gupta NP, Shrivastav JB. Prevalence of Cryptococcus neoformans in Delhi zoological park and its recovery from the sputum of an employee. Ind J Med Res 1972; 60: 182–185.Google Scholar
- 13.Montero Gei F, Alvarado F. Clinical and epidemiological aspects of cryptococcosis in Costa Rica. Proceedings of the IV International Conference on the Mycoses: The black and white yeasts. Panamerican Health Org., Washington, D.C., Scientific Publication 1978; No. 356: 195–198.Google Scholar
- 14.Castanon Olivares LR, Lopez Martinez R. Isolation of Cryptococcus neoformans from pigeon (Columa livia) droppings in Mexico city. Mycoses 1994; 37: 325–327.Google Scholar
- 15.Bowman PI, Ahearn DG. Ecology of Cryptococcus neoformans in Georgia. Proceedings of the IV International Conference on the Mycoses: The black and white yeasts. Panamerican Health Org., Washington, D.C., Scientific publication 1978; No. 356: 258–267.Google Scholar