A nude mouse model of human osteosarcoma lung metastases for evaluating new therapeutic strategies
The purpose of these studies was to develop a metastatic osteosarcoma nude mouse model to evaluate the in vivo efficacy of new therapeutic compounds. Human SAOS-2 osteosarcoma cells (106 cells) were injected i.v. into nude mice. Cells isolated from a rare pulmonary metastases 6 months later were established (SAOS-LM1) in culture and re-injected. This procedure was repeated 5 additional times to produce the SAOS-LM6 cell line. Visible pulmonary nodules were present 8 weeks following i.v. injection of 106 SAOS-LM6 cells as compared to 17 weeks using SAOS-LM2 cells. Microscopic SAOS-LM6 pulmonary metastases were demonstrated at 6 weeks. Administration of adriamycin on week 9 resulted in regression of macroscopic SAOS-LM6 lung tumors. The ability of the model to be used to evaluate the effectiveness of a biologic agent against microscopic disease was also verified. It was concluded that this model can assess therapeutic efficacy and therefore, may have a role in investigating the potential of novel approaches aimed at eliminating pulmonary metastatic osteosarcoma.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eiber F, Giuliano A, Echardt J et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma: A randomized prospective trial. J Clin Oncol 1987; 5: 21–6.Google Scholar
- 2.Jaffe N. Chemotherapy in osteosarcoma: Experimental and clinical progress in cancer chemotherapy. In Muggia FM(ed): Advances and Controversies. Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers 1986; 223–33.Google Scholar
- 4.Goorin AM, Shuster JJ, Baker A, et al. Changing pattern of pulmonary metastases with adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with osteosarcoma: Results from the multi-institutional osteosarcoma study. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9: 6000–5.Google Scholar
- 6.Jia SF, Zwelling LA, McWatters A, ANT, Kleinerman ES. Interleukin-1? increase the cytotoxicity activity of etoposide against human osteosarcoma cells. J Exp Therap & Oncol (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.Jia SF, Fan D, Kleinerman ES. Synergestic enhancement of adriamycin cytotoxicity against human osteosarcoma cells by TNFα. Pro Am Assoc Cancer Res 1992; 33: 3301.Google Scholar
- 15.Killion JJ, Kleinerman ES, Wilson MR et al. Sequential therapy with chemotherapeutic drugs and liposome-encapsulated muramyl tripeptide: Determination of potential interaction between these agents. Oncology Res 1992; 4: 413–8.Google Scholar
- 18.Samid D, Mandler R. Human osteosarcoma cells transformed by ras oncogenes: a new model for in vivo studies of pulmonary metastasis. Clinic Biotechnol 1989; 1: 21–6.Google Scholar