Asset Management for Irrigation Systems – Addressing the Issue of Serviceability
- 55 Downloads
This paper advocates the need for defining criteria for level of service provision for irrigation networks and outlines a proposed Irrigation Serviceability Matrix to be used in the preparation of asset management plans and investment strategies for irrigation infrastructure. The development of the Irrigation Serviceability Matrix is based on experienced gained in the UK by the privatised water industry where the level of service provision to customers has become a key determinant for investment in infrastructure. The paper describes the evolution of this process within the UK water industry and its application to the irrigation sector.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banyard JK & Bostock JW. 1998. Asset management investment planning for utilities. Proceedingsof the Institution of Civil Engineers, Civil Engineering, Vol. 126, Issue 2, May, pp 65–72.Google Scholar
- Bos MG. 1997. Performance indicators for irrigation and drainage. Irrigation and Drainage Systems, Vol. 11, No. 2, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp 119-137.Google Scholar
- Burton MA, Kingdom WD & Welch JW. 1996. Strategic investment planning for irrigation- The "Asset Management" approach. Irrigation and Drainage Systems, Vol. 7, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp 305–318.Google Scholar
- GICC. 1998. Guidelines for irrigation canal control. SirWilliam Halcrow and Partners, Swindon, UK, and Institute of Irrigation and Development Studies, University of Southampton,UK. April.Google Scholar
- IIS. 1995. Asset management procedures for irrigation schemes - Final Report. Institute of Irrigation Studies, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.Google Scholar
- Molden DJ & Gates TK. 1990. Performance measures for evaluation of irrigation water delivery system. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE 116(6), pp 804–823.Google Scholar
- Murray-Rust DH & Snellen WB. 1993. Irrigation system performance assessment and diagnosis. Joint publication by IIMI, ILRI and IHE, International Irrigation Management Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka.Google Scholar
- OFWAT. 1992. Strategic Business Plan (AMP2) Manual. Office of Water Services, Birmingham, UK.Google Scholar
- OFWAT, 1995. Information for Regulation, Volume 1. Office of Water Services, Birmingham, UK.Google Scholar
- OFWAT. 1997. Consultation and Information Requirements for the 1999 Periodic Review.Office of Water Services, Birmingham, UK.Google Scholar
- Rao PS. 1993. Review of selected literature on indicators of irrigation performance. IIMI Research Paper No. 13, International Irrigation Management Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka.Google Scholar
- Rumsey PB and Harris TK. 1990. Asset management planning and the estimation of investment needs. Water Research Centre, Swindon, UK.Google Scholar