A CCD Image Archive Of Comet C/1995 O1 (Hale-Bopp): Dust Expansion Velocities
- 31 Downloads
An optical archive of comet Hale-Bopp was obtained over 28 nights from June 1996 to May 1997 covering a range of heliocentric distances of r = 4.12 − 0.91. The CCD images were obtained with the 0.8-m University of Washington Manastash Ridge Observatory and the 0.25-m Pennsylvania State University at Eriemobile observatory. The reduced images clearly document the evolution of features of the coma, which were dominated by radial jetsfrom r = 4.1 − 2.3 AU, curved fan-shaped jets from r = 1.2 − 1.0 AU, and arcs or shells for 0.9 < r < 1.0 AU. We present the images and derive an average dust expansion velocity of Vdust = 0.67 ± 0.07 km s−1 from measurements of the arc features. The images in thearchive will be made available to other researchers for further study.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Farnham, T. L., Schleicher, D. G., Blount, E. A., and Ford, E.: 1998, ‘The Rotation Period of Comet Hale-Bopp (1995 O1)’, Paper presented at the First International Conference on Comet Hale-Bopp, Tenerife, Canary Islands, 2–5 February 1998.Google Scholar
- Fulle, M., Pasian, F., and Benvenuti, P.: 1992, ‘HST Observations of the Inner Coma of Comet Levy 1990c’, Modelling, Simulation and Sounding of Cometary Nuclei; Proceedings of the International Workshop, Cagliari, Italy. A92-39408 16–12, Annales Geophysicae 10(3–4), 145–149.Google Scholar
- Lecacheux, J., Jorda, L., and Colas, F.: 1997, IAU Circular 6560.Google Scholar
- Marsden, B. G.: 1996, IAU Circular 6463.Google Scholar
- Morgan, J.: 1997, ‘Manastash Ridge Observatory Users Manual’, University of Washington, Table 1.Google Scholar
- Sekanina, Z. and Boehnhardt, H.: 1997, IAU Circular 6542.Google Scholar
- Yu, N., Gnedin, T., and Kiseleva, P.: 1998, ‘Photographic Observations of Comet Hale-Bopp: The Properties of Shell Structure’, Paper presented at the First International Conference on Comet Hale-Bopp, Tenerife, Canary Islands, 2–5 February 1998.Google Scholar