Effect of picloram and methyl jasmonate on growth and taxane accumulation in callus culture of Taxus × media var. Hatfieldii
- 392 Downloads
We have analysed the effect of some culture conditions and media components on callus growth rate and production of taxanes in callus of Taxus × media var. Hatfieldii. For callus induction and maintenance a Gamborg B5 medium and a White - Rangaswamy medium (WR) with different modifications were used. On an improved WR medium (containing 10 μM picloram) the callus growth factor increased up to 5.8 fold (fresh weight). Picloram only enhanced the growth of callus, but not taxane production. On WR medium with (100 μM) methyl jasmonate the paclitaxel content increased from 2.37 μg g-1 to 90 μg g-1 and cephalomannine from 5.14 μg g-1 to 29.14 μg g-1 (dry weight), whereas growth of the cultures ceased. The presence of paclitaxel and cephalomannine was established by high performance liquid chromatography.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bringi V, Kadkade PG, Prince CL, Schubmehl BF, Kane EJ & Roach B (1995) Enhanced production of taxol and taxanes by cell cultures of Taxus species. United States Patentnumber 5.407.816Google Scholar
- Furmanowa M, Głowniak K, Zobel A, Józefowicz J, Syklowska-Baranek K & Guzewska J (1995a) Taxol and its localisation in organs and tissue culture of two varieties of Taxus media Rehd. Research Conference on Plant Cell Biology and Biotechnological Applications. Medicinal Plants: Biology, Chemistry and Drug Development. Dourdan(France) 14–19 FebruaryGoogle Scholar
- Furmanowa M, Glowniak K, Zobel A, Guzewska J, Zgórka G, Rapczewska L & Józefczyk A (1995b) Taxol in Taxus baccata L. var. elegantissima organs and in tissue culture. Ninth Forum for Applied Biotechnology. 27-29 September Gent (Belgium). Proceedings Part: 2115-2118Google Scholar
- Liebmannn J, Cook JA, Lipschultz C, Teagne D, Fischer J & Mitchell JB (1994) The influence of Cremophor EL on the cell cycle effects of paclitaxel (Taxol ®) in human tumor celllines. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 33: 331–339Google Scholar
- Ketchum R E B & Gibson D M (1996) Paclitaxel production in suspension cell cultures of Taxus. Plant Cell, Tiss and Org. Cult. 46: 9–16Google Scholar
- Rangaswamy NS (1961) Experimental studies on female reproductive structures of Citrus microcarpa Bunge. Phytomorphology 11: 109–127Google Scholar
- Yukimune Y, Hara Y, Higashi Y, Ohnishi N, Tabata H & Suga C (1995) Anticancer taxane diterpenes in high yield from Taxus species. Japanese Patent 95-09825Google Scholar
- Zobel A M, Furmanowa M, Glowniak K & Cragg C (1996) Taxol on the surface of leaves and inside the needles of three species and two varieties of Taxus. Phytomedicine 3: 287–291Google Scholar