Two-phase extraction culture of Botryococcus braunii producing long-chain unsaturated hydrocarbons
- 277 Downloads
Hydrocarbon recovery was 32% and the total production of hydrocarbon in a two-phase extraction culture of Botryococcus braunii was 675 mg l−1, which was 19% higher than that of single-phase culture. Addition of 60 ml dihexyl ether at mid-growth phase gave the highest yield. Specific growth rate and recovery of hydrocarbon in this case were 0.022 h−1 and 26%, respectively.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Casadevall E,Dif E,Largeau C,Gudin C,Chaumont D,Desanti O (1985) Studies on batch and continuous cultures of Botryococcus braunii: hydrocarbon production in relation to physiological state, cell ultrasturcture, and phosphate nutrition. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27: 286-295.Google Scholar
- Frenz J,Largeau C,Casadevall E (1989a) Hydrocarbon recovery by extraction with a biocompatible solvent from free and immobilized cultures of Botryococcus braunii. Enzyme Microbiol. Technol. 11: 717-724.Google Scholar
- Frenz J,Largeau C,Casadevall E,Kollerup F,Daugulis AJ (1989b) Hydrocarbon recovery and biocompatibility of solvents for extraction from cultures of Botryococcus braunii. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 34: 755-762.Google Scholar
- Kojima E,Zhang K (1999) Growth and hydrocarbon production of microalga Botryococcus braunii in bubble column photobioreactors. J. Biosci. Bioeng. 87: 811-815.Google Scholar
- Largeau C,Casadevall E,Berkaloff C,Dhamelincourt P (1980) Sites of accumulation and composition of hydrocarbons in Botryococcus braunii. Phytochemistry 19: 1043-1051.Google Scholar
- Okada S,Murakama M,Yamaguchi K (1997) Hydrocarbon production by the Yayoi, a new strain of the green microalga Botryococcus braunii. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 67: 79-86.Google Scholar
- Sim SJ,Chang HN (1993) Increased shikonin production by hairy roots of Lithospermum erythrorhizon in two phase bubble column reactor. Biotechnol. Lett. 15: 145-150.Google Scholar
- Wolf FR,Nonomura AM,Bassham JA (1985) Growth and branched hydrocarbon production in a strain of Botryococcus braunii (Chlorophyta). J. Phycol. 21: 388-396.Google Scholar
- Yamaguchi K,Nakano H,Murakami M (1987) Lipid composition of a green alga, Botryococcus braunii. Agric. Biol. Chem. 51: 493-498.Google Scholar