Production of the antibiotic gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum – development of a scale-up procedure
- 117 Downloads
A scale-up strategy into 200 l pilot-scale for the production of the antibiotic gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum Tü 3928 was developed. Large-scale fermentations were simulated by consecutive liquid cultures of smaller scale. Afterwards, optimised cultivation conditions were transferred to pilot-scale. Best results were achieved by addition of Maltose during the late production phase leading to a final concentration of 330 mg gallidermin per litre. Compared to the concentrations found in a non-pulsed pilot-scale fermentations this is an increase of 20–30%.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clark GJ, Langley D, Bushell ME (1995) Oxygen limitation can induce microbial secondary metabolite formation: investigations with miniature electrodes in shaker and bioreactor culture. Microbiology 141: 663–669.Google Scholar
- Hörner T, Ungermann V, Zähner H, Fiedler H-P, Utz R, Kellner R, Jung G (1990) Comparative studies on the fermentative production of lantibiotics by staphylococci. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 32: 511–517.Google Scholar
- Hosobuchi M, Yoshikawa H (1999) Scale-up of microbial processes. In: Demain AL, Davies JE, eds. Manual of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2nd edn. Washington: ASM Press, pp. 236–239.Google Scholar
- Humphrey A (1998) Shake flask to fermentor: what have we learned? Biotechnol. Prog. 14: 3–7.Google Scholar
- Ju L-K, Chase GG (1992) Improved scale-up strategies of bioreactors. Bioprocess Eng. 8: 49–53.Google Scholar
- Kellner R, Jung G, Hörner T, Zähner H, Schnell N, Entian KD, Götz F (1988) Gallidermin: a new lanthionine-containing polypeptide antibiotic. Eur. J. Biochem. 177: 53–59.Google Scholar
- Kempf M, Theobald U, Fiedler H-P (1997) Influence of dissolved O2 on the fermentative production of gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum. Biotechnol. Lett. 19: 1063–1065.Google Scholar
- Kempf M, Theobald U, Fiedler H-P (1999a) Economic improvement of the fermentative production of gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum. Biotechnol. Lett. 21: 663–667.Google Scholar
- Kempf M, Theobald U, Fiedler H-P (1999b) Correlation between the consumption of amino acids and the production of the antibiotic gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum. Biotechnol. Lett. 21: 959–963.Google Scholar
- Reuss M, Bajpai R (1991) Stirred tank models. In: Rehm H-J and Reed G, eds. Biotechnology, Vol. 4, 2nd edn. Weinheim: VCH, pp. 299–348.Google Scholar
- Theobald U, Kempf M (1998) A novel tool for medium optimisation and characterization in the early stages of a metabolite production process. Biotechnol. Tech. 12: 893–897.Google Scholar