Economic improvement of the fermentative production of gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum
- 72 Downloads
Gallidermin production by Staphylococcus gallinarum was optimal using a new developed medium consisting of 50 g yeast extract l−1, 45 g CaCl2 l−1 and 5 g maltose l−1. Medium optimisation led to the cost of the medium decreasing by 93% compared to the previously used medium and in addition gained a higher product yield. A scale-up of the process based on the new medium was successfully tested up to a working volume of 200 l.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bierbaum G, Götz F, Peschel A, Kupke T, van de Kamp M, Sahl H-G (1996) The biosynthesis of the lantibiotics epidermin, gallidermin, Pep5 and epilancin K7. Antonie von Leeuwenhoek 69: 119-127.Google Scholar
- Dennesen PJW, Bonten MJM, Weinstein RA (1998) Multiresistant bacteria as a hospital epidemic problem. Ann. Med. 30: 176-185.Google Scholar
- Fiedler H-P, Hörner T, Wörn A (1987) Separation of polypeptide antibiotics by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Chromatographia 24: 433-438.Google Scholar
- Goldberg DE (1989) Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Reading, MA: Addison-Welsley Publishing.Google Scholar
- Hörner T, Ungermann V, Zähner H, Fiedler H-P, Utz R, Kellner R, Jung G (1990) Comparative studies on the fermentative production of lantibiotics by staphylococci. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 32: 511-517.Google Scholar
- Holland JH (1975) Adaption in Natural and Artificial Systems. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Jack RW, Bierbaum G, Sahl H-G (1998) Lantibiotics and Related Peptides. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Kellner R, Jung G, Hörner T, Zähner H, Schnell N, Entian KD, Götz F (1988) Gallidermin: a new lanthionine-containing polypeptide antibiotic. Eur. J. Biochem. 177: 53-59.Google Scholar
- Kempf M, Theobald U, Fiedler H-P (1997) Influence of dissolved O2 on the fermentative production of gallidermin by Staphylococcus gallinarum. Biotechnol. Lett. 19: 1063-1065.Google Scholar
- Peschel A, Schnell N, Hille M, Entian K-D, Götz F (1997) Secretion of the lantibiotics epidermin and gallidermin: sequence analysis of the genes gdmT and gdmH, their influence on epidermin production and their regulation by EpiQ. Mol. Gen. Genetics 254: 312-318.Google Scholar
- Sahl H-G, Jack R, Bierbaum G (1995) Biosynthesis and biological activities of lantibiotics with unique post-translational modifications. Eur. J. Biochem. 230: 827-853.Google Scholar