When drawing up a database for sunspots from a large collection of white-light films, a need for the automation of the process arises. The concepts used at the automation of the area measurements of sunspots are described. As an example, sunspot groups NOAA 5521 and 5528 are processed and the areas obtained are compared to the measurements published in the literature. Similar values are obtained, except umbral areas published by Steinegger et al. (1996) which are significantly larger than ours. We find that the differences may be attributed to the fact that the definition proposed by Steinegger et al. (1996) for the penumbra–umbra border of a sunspot is not equivalent to those used for the measurements of others of the umbral area.
KeywordsArea Measurement Large Collection Sunspot Group Umbral Area Group NOAA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews, H. C. and Hunt, B. R.: 1977, Digital Image Restoration, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Beck, J. G. and Chapman, G. A.: 1993, Solar Phys. 146, 49.Google Scholar
- Brandt, P. N., Schmidt, W., and Steinegger, M.: 1990, Solar Phys. 129, 191.Google Scholar
- Chapman, G. A. and Groisman, G.: 1984, Solar Phys. 91, 45.Google Scholar
- Chapman, G. A., Herzog, A. D., Laico, D. E., Lawrence, J. K., and Templer, M. S.: 1989, Astrophys. J. 343, 547.Google Scholar
- De La Rue, W.: 1869, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc., 159.Google Scholar
- Dezső L., Gerlei O., and Kovács Á.: 1987, Debrecen Photoheliographic Results for the Year 1977.Google Scholar
- Frieden, B. R.: 1979, in T. S. Huang (ed.), Picture Processing and Digital Filtering, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Kálmán, B. and Gerlei, O.: 1994, private communication.Google Scholar
- Kitchin, C. R.: 1984, Astrophysical Techniques, Adam Hilger Ltd, Bristol.Google Scholar
- Tennenbaum, J. M., Kay, A. C., Binford, T., Falk, Feldman, J., Grape G., and Sobel, I.: 1969, in D. A. Walker and L. M. Norton (eds.), ‘The Stanford Hand-Eye Project’, Proc. IJCAI, p. 521.Google Scholar