Comparative efficacy of pyrethrum marc with albendazole against sheep gastrointestinal nematodes
- 66 Downloads
The efficacies of pyrethrum marc and of albendazole against experimental sheep gastrointestinal nematode infection were compared. Sheep were infected orally with 10000 larvae (Haemonchus spp. (60.1%), Oesophagostomum spp. (13.9%), Trichostrongylus spp. (13.2%), Cooperia spp. (8.3%), Nematodirus spp. (3.5%), Strongyloides spp. (0.8%) and Ostertagia spp. (0.2%)). Faecal egg count reduction in albendazole-treated sheep was 100% by day 4 following treatment, compared to 37.03%, 31.3%, 38.9% and 51.8% on days 4, 6, 8 and 10 in pyrethrum marc-treated sheep. These reductions were statistically significant on days 8 and 10 post-treatment (p<0.05). The potential for using pyrethrins for helminth treatment is discussed.
KeywordsPublic Health Veterinary Medicine Albendazole Comparative Efficacy Nematode Infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barthel, W.F., 1973. In: J.E. Casida (ed.), Pyrethrum, the Natural Insecticide, (Academic Press, New York and London), 123-140Google Scholar
- Campbell, N.J., Hall, C.A., Kelly, J.D. and Martin, I.C.A., 1978. The efficacy of various anthelmintics against field populations of Haemonchus contortus resistant to thiabendazole. Australian Veterinary Journal, 54, 501-502Google Scholar
- Chevalier, J., 1930. Le Pyrèthre (chrysanthème insecticide). Activitè pharmacodynamique thèrapeutique. Bulletin of Science and Pharmacology, 37, 154-165Google Scholar
- Coles, G.C., Bauer, C., Borgsteede, F.H.M., Geerts, S., Klei, T.R., Taylor, M.A. and Waller, P.J., 1992. World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology (W.A.A.V.P.). Methods for the Detection of Anthelmintic Resistance in Nematodes of Veterinary Importance. Veterinary Parasitology, 44, 35-44Google Scholar
- Mbaria, J.M., 1990. Studies of acute toxicity and anthelmintic activity of pyrethrins in animals, (MSc thesis, University of Nairobi)Google Scholar
- Mbaria, J.M., McDermott, J.J., Gichanga, E.J. and Munyole, P.N., 1995. Prevalence of helminths and helminth control practices in Molo division, Nakuru district, Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, 43, 35-44Google Scholar
- McLellan, R.H., 1964. Anthelmintic pyrethrum: A literature review. Pyrethrum Post, 7(4), 23-26Google Scholar
- Roberson, E.L., 1988. Antinematodal drugs. In: Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 6th edn., (Iowa State University Press, Ames), 882-927Google Scholar
- Soulsby, E.J.L., 1982. Helminths, Arthropods and Protozoa of Domesticated Animals, 7th edn, (Baillière Tindall, London)Google Scholar
- Zar, J., 1974. Biostatistical Analysis, (Prentice Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs), 109-112Google Scholar