A Nonmonotonic Modal Formalization of the Logic of Acceptance and Rejection
The problems we deal with concern reasoning about incomplete knowledge. Knowledge is understood as ability of an ideal rational agent to make decisions about pieces of information. The formalisms we are particularly interested in are Moore's autoepistemic logic (AEL) and its variant, the logic of acceptance and rejection (AEL2). It is well-known that AEL may be seen as the nonmonotonic KD45 modal logic. The aim is to give an appropriate modal formalization for AEL2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chellas, B. F., 1980, Modal Logic: An Introduction, Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hughes, G. E. and Cresswell, M. J., 1984, A Companion to Modal Logic, Methuen, London and New York.Google Scholar
- GomoliŃska, A., 1993, 'On Logical Methods of Knowledge Representation with Incomplete Information' (in Polish). Ph. D. dissertation, University of Warsaw.Google Scholar
- GomoliŃska A., 1994, On the Logic of Acceptance and Rejection, Uppsala Prints and Preprints in Philosophy, 7.Google Scholar
- Moore, R. C., 1985, 'Semantical Considerations on Nonmonotonic Logic, ' Artificial Intelligence, 25(1), 75-94.Google Scholar
- Moore, R. C., 1987, 'Possible-World Semantics for Autoepistemic Logic', in Readings in Nonmonotonic Reasoning, M. L. Ginsberg ed., Morgan Kaufmann, 137-142.Google Scholar
- Pogorzelski, W. A., 1975, The Classical Propositional Calculus (in Polish), PWN, Warszawa.Google Scholar
- Pogorzelski, W. A., 1994, Notions and Theorems of Elementary Formal Logic, Warsaw University — Białystok Division.Google Scholar
- Schwarz, G., 1990, 'Autoepistemic Modal Logics', in Proceedings of the 3rd Conference TARK (1990), R. Parikh ed., Morgan Kaufmann, 97-109.Google Scholar
- Schwarz, G., 1991, 'Autoepistemic Logic of Knowledge', in Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Logic Programming and Nonmonotonic Reasoning, A. Nerode, W. Marek, and V. S. Subrahmanian eds., MIT Press, 260-274.Google Scholar
- Stalnaker, R., 1993, 'A Note on Nonmonotonic Modal Logic', Artificial Intelligence, 64(2), 183-196.Google Scholar