Recent observations have provided much real information about the acceleration of particles in solar flares. High-reliability data about accelerated particles have been obtained for an impulsive phase of some flares of the activity cycle XXII. Therefore, it seems reasonable to re-estimate the amount of Li atoms produced in the upper photospheric layers by α − α reactions. A value of 5 × 10 29 nuclei during the largest impulsive solar events has been found from calculations for the thick-target model. This agrees with observations of the γ line of lithium. In conclusion, the probability of enhanced Li absorption observed after large impulsive flares in the sunspot penumbra is discussed.
KeywordsLithium Flare Recent Observation Solar Flare Activity Cycle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belov, A. V. and Livshits, M. A.: 1995, Astronomy Letters Russia 21, 42.Google Scholar
- Belov, A. V., Eroshenko, E. A., and Livshits, M. A.: 1994, Proc. Eighth Symp. on Solar Terrestrial Physics, Sendai, Japan, p. 26.Google Scholar
- Carlsson, M., Rutten, R. J., Bruls, J. H. M. J., and Shukina, N. G.: 1994, Astron. Astrophys. 288, 860.Google Scholar
- Ginsburg, V. L.: 1995, Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics, Nauka, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Kozlovsky, W. W. and Ramaty, R.: 1988, Astrophys. J. 350, 870.Google Scholar
- Murphy, R. J., Hua, X.-V., Kozlovsky, B., and Ramaty, R.: 1990, Astrophys. J. 351, 299.Google Scholar
- Pallavicini, R., Cutispotto, G., Randich, S., and Gratton, R.: 1993, Astron. Astrophys. 267, 145.Google Scholar
- Ramaty, R.: 1986, in P. Sturrock et al.(eds.), Physics of the Sun, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, Vol. 2, p. 291.Google Scholar
- Ramaty, R., Kozlovsky, B., and Lingenfelter, R. E.: 1975, Space Sci. Rev. 18, 341.Google Scholar
- Suda, K., Yoshimori, M., Morimoto, K., Hiraoka, T., and Sato, G.: 1992, Workshop: One Year of Yohkoh Research, p. 68.Google Scholar
- Yoshimori, M. Suga, K., Morimoto, K., Hiraoka, T., and Sato, G.: 1992, Workshop: One Year of Yohkoh Research, p. 56.Google Scholar