The segregation of niobium in Inconel 718 was investigated by means of X-ray diffraction. It was found that the very weak and diffuse profiles of sidebands on the lower angle side of γ phase (2 0 0), (2 2 0), (3 1 1), (2 2 2) diffraction peaks were observed in the X-ray diffraction patterns of Inconel 718 cold rolled to 25% reduction, and then solution treated at 1040 °C, 970 °C and aged (DA). The formation of sidebands was contributed to the Nb segregation in the γ matrix. The composition of the Nb rich region was estimated according to the lattice parameter of the Nb rich region. The results showed that the degree of Nb segregation in the matrix is less than that at the grain boundries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.X. J. Pang, D. J. Dwyer, M. Gao, P. Valerio and R. P. Wei, Scripta Met. et Mater. 311994) 345.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Gao and R. P. Wei, ibid. 32 (1995) 987Google Scholar
- 3.D. F. Paulonis, J. M. Oblak and D. S. Duvall, Trans. ASM 62 (1969) 611.Google Scholar
- 4.I. Kirman and D. H. Warrington, Metall. Trans. 1A (1970) 2667.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Cozar and A. Pineau, ibid. 4A (1973) 47.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Sundararaman, P. Mukhopadhyay and S. Banerjee, ibid. 23A (1992) 2015.Google Scholar
- 7.W. C. Liu, F. R. Xiao, M. Yao and Z. L. Chen, Scripta Mater. 37 (1997) 53.Google Scholar
- 8.J. H. He, S. Fukuyama and K. Yokogawa, Scripta Met. et Mater. 31 (1994) 1421.Google Scholar
- 9.W. C. Liu, F. R. Xiao, M. Yao and Z. L. Chen, Scripta Mater. 37 (1997) 59.Google Scholar
- 10.K. Kusabiraki, S. Ikeuchi and T. Ooka, Mater. Trans. JIM 37 (1996) 1050.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Slama, C. Servant and G. Cizeron, J. Mater. Res. 12 (1997) 2298.Google Scholar
- 12.M. G. Burke and M. K. Miller, in “Superalloys 718, 625, 706 and Various Derivatives,” edited by E. A. Loria (TMS,Warrendals, PA, 1991) p. 337.Google Scholar
- 13.W. C. Liu, F. R. Xiao, M. Yao and Z. L. Chen, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 16 (1997) 769.Google Scholar